Red hot exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
Just finished the first tank of gas in my new motor and i don't remember my old exhaust getting glowing red hot should it be getting this hot.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm guessing you have one of the newer type of "catalytic" exhausts. It is set up so that the temperature is much higher and burns up more of the nasty stuff coming out. I don't like them and mine turned an interesting purple/blue color. It is so hot that it poses a danger to ankles, paint, etc. But I guess the emissions are lower. I don't know of a fix other than changing it to something else.
SB

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
yea it was a nice shinny chrome but is now bluish, I think I will try to open it up a bit or just put the crap one from the old motor on thanks and peace out

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The quality of the chrome plating will determine how soon it will show the effects of heat. The bluing is called the 'heat effected area' in metallurgical terms. A good quality chrome plating will actually be what is called a 'triple chrome plate'. There should be a layer of copper, then nickel then chrome. In recent years they have gotten cheaper and in the U.S. the EPA has come down hard on chrome plating so many shops now just chrome.(many have gone out of business completely) The thinner the plating the quicker it will discolor due to heat. In the case of a catalytic muffler the heat generated, or held, by the metal is higher than a flow-through muffler accounting for the color change you see. No way around it really except to rough up the surface and apply a good high temp paint or professionally applied coating designed for high temperature applications.
Tom

skiball83

Nov 18, 2010
Chicago
Drill it out. I did that on mine and it runs sooooo much better. Didnt really affect the sound either. Used a 1/4" bit and went through the 5 holes in the guts.