DIY Leaf SpringTruss Fork

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Although my BTR may be more of a cruiser due to the fenders, I have made a fork more fitting for a BTR.

1. All moving joints are bushed.
2. Spring connecting rods are adjustable to change spring preload'
3. The pivot arms are reversable to change stiffness of the desired ride.
4. The adjustable spring connecting rods a built to be connected for leading or trailing setup.

The existing fork will be used on a new Cruiser build.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: chainmaker

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Very nice job Russell. I have been interested in doing something similar at some point. Hope to see it in person at the Pa Rally this coming August. Dan

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I was going to wait until after the holiday season to bug you for details, but since it's already begun.... Is it possibly a buggy seat spring from Amish country ?

MHF

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Sorry, I thought that I had posted where I purchased it. I bought it at Tractor Supply Corp.
I have seen the same one at Harbor Freight and on e-bay. The offered them with three different load capacity. I purchased the lightest. They offer them seperatly(you do not have to purchase a pair).
Paid just under $20.

I shaved the sides of the spring to weaken it(That is not needed). The spacing on the axle rocker arms makes a big difference. I used bushings on all moving parts.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Hmm, I've asked all the t.s.c stores around here for "the lightest duty leafsprings" they had in stock but they all look at me like a deer in the headlights

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Took a quick look at TSC website. Try thes part #s

These were close to the one I picked up but not exact. Any of them should work. I only went thru 7 of 57 pages on carry on trailers. So there are brobably more.
Hope this helps, be sure to check out Harbor freight also.

Jim E (Russell)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep and the old snowmobile springs are 3 leafs look a lot like the Indian springs. That is what I am useing on Silverbear & Fastedy's fork should finish them soon.........Curt

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Looked on harbor freight web page. Didn't see anything but have seen them in the local HF store.