jims billet head preformance review

GoldenMotor.com

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i have heard nothing but rave reviews on jims parts....i myself bought his sproket adapter ..great workman ship!!!!!i am now waiting on a head..is anyone out there written a review on one yet? would love to read about it while i wait!!!!!how install went...any problems...any tips..how it preforms...thanks ....rick.shft.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's really difficult to review something when you can't find it for sale anywhere... Jim made a bunch of them, Pirate instantly sold them all, & they haven't made another since!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I've heard that the head doesn't provide sufficient cooling. I hope that's not the case.
No! This is not the case...my cylinder heads have far more cooling surface area than the originals.

One could, using common sense, surmise that I would not put out a product that would damage an engine.

The first 3 cylinder heads I made were used for testing purposes. 2 were given to Pirate cycles, and I installed one here; on a customers' bike. I didn't have time to test the customers' bike, any more than to ride it once; up and down the street. He was busy...I was busy, so I just left it with him and told him if it's too much for the engine and it blows up...don't worry about it...I'll give you a new one.

Pirate cycles gave one each to ridingrich & flybytaco. The assumption was that these two knew what they were doing, and I wouldn't have to tie up my time testing heads for the perfect chamber volume.

As it turned out, only one of the two knew what they were doing...flybytaco. Rick used high octane VP fuel with excellent results...no overheating...no detonation!

Ridingrich, having almost zero experience with engines could only comment that his engine was pinging and overheating. He didn't know why! It was detonating due to too much compression vs. fuel octane. This is engine knowledge 101. ridingrich was supposed to use his incredible mathematical brain to figure out the perfect chamber volume to be used with his hi-po engine. It never happened.

My customer rode his for about a month and then decided to "open it up" and see what she'd do!

He called the next day and said he'd rode it wide open for about ten blocks when it lost power. He brought it over and I removed the head. The piston had gotten so hot it was concave! It didn't get hot enough, through and through, to seize to the cylinder wall...It was localized right in the center of the crown...Obvious detonation!

I replaced the piston, opened up the chamber a bit, and mixed some 93 octane fuel. We tested it "hard" for a week before giving it back to the customer. He has been riding it daily for the past 4 months without any problems.

The test on the customers' bike finalized the chamber size, and this is the product that was shipped to Pirate cycles for distribution.

50 people have used this cylinder head for months...we have not had any direct complaints.

It's really difficult to review something when you can't find it for sale anywhere... Jim made a bunch of them, Pirate instantly sold them all, & they haven't made another since!! :rolleyes:
Norm...The first 50 were to "test the market".

I think you will agree, that common sense would dictate, it's better to test the market with 50. 50 problems are easier to deal with than 500!!!

We haven't had any problems...so yes we will be making more. They are VERY time consuming to make...so they will probably always be of limited availability.

Jim

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I have the new desighn on 3 of my bikes I still run vp but i'm using ms103 its oxygenated unleaded 99 motor octane with superb results i tried to blow my engine monday held it wide open with no mercy for 3 miles straight the only reason i let off was because it was vibing so much that my ass was getting hot from the friction and was about to have that unvolantary bowel movement lol the hottest my engine gets is 300 degrees usually runs 265 no pinging no detonation the engine wont blow btw so the test continues

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You were not quick enough to catch that illusive unicorn.rotfl If'n it makes you feel any better I got one have not tried it yet. It looks real good.

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
you people seem very weird to me...i simply was happy to get one of jims heads..for other members it would be nice to have a review of it...instead you all act like a bunch of losers laughing about who was the first to get one...who has the most but none of you even installed one..i fail to see the glee you nuts seem so to be so proud of!!!!!!!!!!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

I think they're jus' havin' a good lighthearted chuckle or two oldsurfer. As for "none of you even installed one" - remember that taco at least was one of those runnin' prototypes to test for Jim, and Jim ofc being the one who makes the things lol

*shrug* In any case, post some pics of the polishing job & your review - I'm lookin' forward to it as I'm sure many are ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
you people seem very weird to me...i simply was happy to get one of jims heads..for other members it would be nice to have a review of it...instead you all act like a bunch of losers laughing about who was the first to get one...who has the most but none of you even installed one..i fail to see the glee you nuts seem so to be so proud of!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, while you got your panties in a bunch over these guys, have you taken the massive amount of time it takes to bolt yours on (5 minutes) and run it long enough to write us up a "review"?

What is the point in a review when nobody can get one? :rolleyes:

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
my motor has less than 30 miles on it and i have 11/2 gallons of mixed fuel to go thru..they recomend runnig on high octain fuel 96 octane..so i was going to put the head on when i go thru my breakin mix and have 100 miles on the motor

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
no you misunderstood me and called me a looser i was just saying i was able to get my hands on them because i live down the street from pirate relax!! i already gave my feedback . see thats why i've been away for months cause nobody can be fun here looks like i'm always the bad guy no matter what!! hey you want the review bolt it on and get it for yourself.

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
this is way out of control...i simply got the impression that no one seemed to take some questions seriously...flyby ..finally figured out the website and yes you did give great info..i gets a little hard to get the answers you want until you type in your question several different ways...no hard feelings..

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
none taken!! text can make the nicest person look mean lol.
review 1 cooling with a stock head engine reaches up to 360 degrees plus.
Jims head= doesent go over 350 355.
compression stock is about 6:1
jims head= about 8:1
stock head poorly casted with non consistent chamber shape
Jims head= cnc machined billet with consistent chamber shape
stock head pos
jims head= nice looking piece adds character to the rest of the pos engine lol
hope this helps

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
flyby..will jims head run on 91 octane gas? from what i read the first head melted the piston because not high enough octane..your review you were at 96 i believe..or higher..i know he opened up the production heads but want to be safe..

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I run 100 octane unleaded race fuel. the only reason it costs so much is because it's oxygenated 12.50 a gal vs c12 108 octane leaded is 8.99 I just like oxygenated fuels personally. But yes I wouldnt reccomend anything less than 91octane