2 or 4-stroke

GoldenMotor.com

jturn

May 16, 2010
Johnson city,TN
hi my name is jarrett very new here and i only recently realized how attainable these bikes are and i was wondering if there is a reliability or power prefrence? i sorta figured it would be similar to a dirtbike. and as a simple question i will roughly be riding it 2 to 3 miles daily to campus... would a mountain bike or a cruiser be better? these bikes are fascinating and im very excited to build one.
any advice or help would be very appreciated thank you so much

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
jturn,
Personal preference should dictate your choice, I Have a beach cruiser, but I'm pushing 50, leaning over all the time is tough, However, front suspension is a good point too, as far as motors go, 2 strokes cost less, drink more $$(oil) are usually louder and (nobody shoot me here)less dependable, a 4 stroke friction drive is simplicity at it's finest, plenty of both types out there. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Mac

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It really is a personal choice.

First of all, there still isn't a 4 stroke engine that mounts to your frame. The two stroke bike engine was cast to fit a bike frame with built in clutch. Fit being a loose term seeing just how many types of bikes people around the world strapped the chicom girl too. And despite her earned reputation of grenading, the leetle beast can be made to be more reliable. The 4 stroke sits on a platform of some type.

You simply will get more power to the ground, quickly with a well tuned 2-stroke. Don't care what anyone says, a 4 stroke 49cc engine is not a crotch rocket. They do absolutely great for what they are, but then again no manual clutch built in is a bugger too. Some better gear box choices than there used to be for 4 stroke, but nothing fully mature.

Probably read the forums for a few months to get some better advice. I'm just rambling....

jake nielson

Mar 25, 2009
oregon
I'm looking for a 4 stroke,I've had two 2 strokes from grubee,one junk(black stallion) one ok,(skyhawk)looking for info,name of brands what is good or bad etc,any info is appreciated,thanks

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm looking for a 4 stroke,I've had two 2 strokes from grubee,one junk(black stallion) one ok,(skyhawk)looking for info,name of brands what is good or bad etc,any info is appreciated,thanks
As stated in above posts, personal preference is what it's all about. I own 2 & 4-strokes built on similar frames being aluminum beach cruisers and the 4-stroke gets my vote for overall performance and reliability. And by nature I am a two-stroke fan. My daily ride is an aluminum Ridgedale beach cruiser with a Huasheng 142F 49cc 4-stroke that is chain driven off the centrifugal clutched 4G t-belt tranny. This is what works for me and can't say enough good things about it...I love this bike! So I can definitely recommend the Grubee 4G HS 4-stroke kit set-up...I ride it everyday.

strotter

Aug 7, 2008
My $.02 I had a HT 2 stroke. I will never own one again. If you are over 25, mixing the oil and the noise gets old after the second day.

4 stroke Honda 50 or Subaru 35 are the way to go.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I find it funny how people say that the 2-strokes are louder?? Both 2 & 4-strokes use the exact same muffler! :rolleyes:
Yup, that is kind of a funny generalization. 2-strokes do seem to be a bit louder with their intake noise...but put a straight pipe on a 4-stroke and an expansion chamber on a 2-stroke and they're both loud as heyell!

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
My $.02 I had a HT 2 stroke. I will never own one again. If you are over 25, mixing the oil and the noise gets old after the second day.

Yus... I must agree - turning my wrist once a month to add 2.6 oz of oil to two gallons of gasoline for my daily driver is indeed a horribly taxing chore, I dunno ifn I can take it much longer in my doddering geriatric state ;)

(that's 100:1 Amsoil mix BTW)

motorbreath

Jun 29, 2010
indonesia
I prefer two stroke engine, it's a simple engine with low maintenace, more power, although some people do not like the smoke, i use low smoke oil and it seems there is almost no smoke while my bike running.

i'm sorry, i'm newbie and my english is bad, I hope there is no misunderstanding.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I prefer two stroke engine, it's a simple engine with low maintenace, more power, although some people do not like the smoke, i use low smoke oil and it seems there is almost no smoke while my bike running.

i'm sorry, i'm newbie and my english is bad, I hope there is no misunderstanding.
Your English is quite good, in fact. Welcome to the forum.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've had several two strokes and am looking to try my first four stroke this fall. I think you need to do some self evaluation... money tight? 2 stroke kits are less expensive unless you want to spend a bunch on aftermarket upgrades... jackshaft kits and expansion chambers, etc. The 2 strokes look better in the frame and take up less room, so some bikes can accept a China Girl when there isn't enough room for a four stroke if you want to go in frame. As Pablo said, the China Girl was designed for a bicycle. How mechanical are you? Or how mechanical do you want to become? Some people just want to get in their car and turn the key with no interest in how the car works, learning to change the plugs and oil, changing a tire or maybe even a little mechanical work... brakes or clutch perhaps. 2 strokes take a little more maintenance (I am told) which for some is a pleasure and for others a pain. I think some of the people who get a bike kit and don't want to do anything to keep it in good order would have done better to get a Chinese scooter or just drive the car. Bikes with motors are kind of primitive machines which appeals to me and is part of the allure... like the early motorcycles. Having your own bike of your choice & motor which you put together can be a great satisfaction and a reflection of you. So, don't just look at what was right for somebody else, but do a self check and go from there. You can always start out with a 2 stroke sticking to a pretty tight budget and later move on to something better for you if you decide it doesn't suit you or your money situation improves. A basic, bump start manual clutch 2 stroke is fine for a young person especially. Some of the older riders want a pull start and an automatic clutch, little maintenance, all of which comes with a price tag. Hope this helps.
SB

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
As my preference, a 2smoke, I am also a budget minded student, mind you it's highschool, but I have a 6mile each way ride and the rack mount leaves no room for books, report's, presentations, etc. also without getting another gas tank the 2 smokes have a longer range as they come with a larger tank. Also with more people using the mostly standardized 2smokes more help is available, as opposed to the huge variety in 4 strokes. You will have a large repair once in a while no matter what engine you choose and 2smoke parts are usually cheaper, heck just an engine is under $100, just my 2cents.

KevXR

Nov 18, 2010
Nor Cal
I have zero experience with motors on bicycles. I am just getting into this sport.

Lots of experience with motorcycles, 2-strokes, and 4-strokes.

2-stroke - Lighter, cheaper, simple, good power/weight ratio.

4-stroke - Heavier, more expensive, tends to be more reliable. You need 50% to 100% larger motor to get the same power as a 2-stroke.

Mixing gas and oil is no big deal. Unless you don't have the oil. If you're one of those types that buys gasoline when the car is on "E" empty, maybe 2-strokes are not for you. Or you can carry a bottle with 2 oz of oil. Put in some gas, some oil, more gas, put on the cap, rock the bike, ride. I have 2 gas cans for 2-stroke premix, 2 gas cans for 4-strokes and cars.

NOISE - Here is a real key item. Young riders often want "Hey look at my loud bike!" (Dig me riding!) Loud motors are more powerful! Loud pipes save lives! I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years, I still get mad when some moron goes by with loud pipes. It's just bad for the sport.

The truth is loud motors anger a lot of people. I'd rather have a quiet bike that is more stealthy. Almost every off-road riding area I used as a kid was closed down due to noise complaints. Now you want to ride a street bike out of your neighborhood every day, I suggest making the bike quiet.

I have a 2-stroke motor from a busted weedwacker, that runs great. So my first bike / motor combo will most likely be a 2-stroke. Making it quieter is going to be a challenge.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
4-stroke. 2nd choice....2-stroke. 3rd choice.....electric. That's just the way it is with me nowadaze. I only build 4-strokes now....I sleep well at night.

g1manalo

Oct 23, 2010
san diego ca.
If you like enough power and reliability, light weight, get a Tanaka 40. With a mountain bike your option will be a rack mount.
Friciton drive-easy to install simplicity, robs power, not good in rain
Golden Eagle= belt drive,dependable quite drive train, relativel easy to install, only single speed, relatively more expensive.
Staton Chain Drive-Have new 7 speed drive train, good on hills, fast on flats, dependable, lifetime warrany on gearbox. Downside hevier than most,one of the more expensive, in my opinion you get wht you pay for.

.xx.