Milling Head???

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
How much has anyone found out that you can take off the bottom of these heads???
Or is it not even worth the trouble.....I know I could run it without a head gasket but I just don`t trust that method.....
Thanks,
Paul....

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Personally I replaced the stock gasket with an aluminum one cut from a disposable baking pan. I probably dropped the head .025"- .030", be careful you don't create interference between the spark plug electrode and the top of the piston, that' all I can offer up.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I have done a few at .035" TO .040" with no problems and felt it was worth the effort.
Aaah, cool....Well I started out at .0855 and the took it down to .0290 , so it ended a total of .0565 that I took off....Installed it and felt a knock on rotating of the motor....But forgot about the spark plug....So I`m going to add a extra spark plug washer which is .053 squished(used one).....That should take care of that clearance for the plug....
Thanks for the info. brother`s.....wee..wee.

Last edited:

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
Anyone who starts playing with changing piston clearance without actually measuring after making their adjustments is playing a risky game.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Anyone who starts playing with changing piston clearance without actually measuring after making their adjustments is playing a risky game.
I knew that it was risky, and I`ll know next time.....
Maybe someone will learn from my slight mistake, huh....Plus it might just run pretty dang good now....
Thanks.......brnot

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I was just thinking, I also replaced the jug gasket as well so really the head is about .060" lower. As for risks, there is such a thing as "calculated risk". The risk takers lay down the tracks for innovation and progress, if not for them we would still be carving meat with shards of rock.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I was just thinking, I also replaced the jug gasket as well so really the head is about .060" lower. As for risks, there is such a thing as "calculated risk". The risk takers lay down the tracks for innovation and progress, if not for them we would still be carving meat with shards of rock.
I just didn`t think to take the spark plug into the setup when I did the head.....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
*shrugs shoulders. I have a slant head on a 40cc, no way the plug is going to smack anything, I took a look at the piston at top dead center and it was pretty obvious I had room under the head. After assembly I rotated the piston through a cycle to double check. Not really very frightening or traumatic. I can nearly pop this thing over from a stand still, so if the implication is that I am in the red zone with compression I'm not buyin' it. I'm not building a block for drag racing it's a little Chinese corn popper. If it lets go no big deal, I'm out a hundred bucks and had a riot in the process! I'm the kind of guy who will sit there on his can holding his arm and laughing if or when the time comes. Nothing more than a calculated risk.
Good one....Same here, that`s why I just went ahead and made the head skinny without really calculating much because like you said, Your only out a few bucks if it even gets that far where it hurts anything.....I did a compression test and it had 125 psi and 137 psi after the skinny head was installed w/ head gasket......Plus I just found a 15.15 Delorto carb. in my box of spare parts from my last bike build I`ll try to get on tomorrow....We`ll see how that goes.....
See ya.....wee.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Ha, I had actually deleted that post because I thought it was a little too harsh. But I'm glad you understand my point of view. I've been in the machine trade for 25 years and have a pretty good handle on things mechanical, material properties, and fabrication techniques. I forget sometimes that my insight and attitude may not be in line with other members. Good luck and apologies if I offended anybody.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
I am amused by the concept of a machinist who doesn't use measurement tools..
:p

Glad it all worked out for y'all.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I am amused by the concept of a machinist who doesn't use measurement tools..
:p

Glad it all worked out for y'all.
Don`t be hatin dude.....We`re just playing without getting out all the measuring sticks.....
How do ya thing I came up with the numbers I came up with????? Life is too short to be worrying about such small measurements......lol.....
It`ll be ok.....brnot

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Ha, I had actually deleted that post because I thought it was a little too harsh. But I'm glad you understand my point of view. I've been in the machine trade for 25 years and have a pretty good handle on things mechanical, material properties, and fabrication techniques. I forget sometimes that my insight and attitude may not be in line with other members. Good luck and apologies if I offended anybody.
X2.........Same here.....