New tandem build, from the old tandem.....

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, they look real grippy! Just realized your front is a 24" wheel tho. Too bad Odyssey don't seem to make em in 26" :(
They might....I thought I saw them in 26" somewhere....I'll check fer ya if you like? They're light, made from the kind-kind materials and stick like glue to asphalt ;)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Nah, Odyssey has usually been BMX-oriented over the years. Those 24" tires are for the larger BMX bikes. Already looked around. Really like the white with skinwalls they have. Maybe one day I'll build a 24" bike, but prolly only when I'm a half foot shorter due to age :p

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nah, Odyssey has usually been BMX-oriented over the years. Those 24" tires are for the larger BMX bikes. Already looked around. Really like the white with skinwalls they have. Maybe one day I'll build a 24" bike, but prolly only when I'm a half foot shorter due to age :p
I think yer right about the tires, but you gotta ways to go as far as shrinking a half a foot due to age young pup laff

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Got the 24" 32h rear rim today.....it is very stout and seems nearly bomb-proof. This is the only hoop I could find for the 32h Nexus disc-brake hub at a reasonable price. Might have to change out the front rim for the 36h Halo too match the rear.....it's only money right? A few more pics...

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
And I must thank BarelyAWake for pointing me in the direction of these old Suzuki forks for the build here....they're perfect for the tandem, just need to find some rubber boots to cover the springs.

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
its only money...I went to put the disk brake on and the caliper his the 11gauge spokes...mo money mo money mo money
Thinner spokes....12 or 13g may do it, or re-dish the wheel? That is a bit of a pisser.....mo money till there's no money :(

What make is the caliper Jeff? Hope I don't run into that prob as I welded the mount at a guess....either running a 160 or 180mm rotor. Hope it has enuf stopping power for this beast, if not......mo money, mo money, mo money.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Did you notice the gears being used in the final drive? I was a little concerned about the chain clearing the chainstay coming off of the jackshaft with a 9t sprocket, going to the final drive sprocket of 22t. Turns out it's not as close as I was thinkin.....thankfully :)

Another concern was the fitment of the little HF gas tank off of the 79cc to the top motor mount.....it's snug as can be, to say the least. The next task of concern is getting the exhaust right with it being a convertable race header, to quiet street muffler and being out of the way as well as a simple dismount of the muff. Yes it's the little obstacles that eat up the time in relatively custom build.....and time flies regardless!

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Short vid today....tandem walkaround. Waiting on parts for wheelset build.......still. All that's left to do after today is install the wheelset, rear disc brake, levers, cables, shifter and finish the exhaust pipe. Then it's ride, tweak, ride, adjust, ride, ride, ride......race!

So far all is going very well.....can't wait to ride this bike again.

The Tandem Walkaround: YouTube - ‪Tandem Walkaround.wmv‬‏

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Pics of progress.....today was a good day. Got alot accomplished and am finally running out of things to do on this build. The wheel parts (hubs/brakes) that are still pending are due in tomorrow....I'll believe it when I see them. Needed the wheels built a week ago and it still hasn't happened yet. This is where it's at now......

mounted the footpegs today also.....almost done.....

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Still waiting on some parts to finish this beast...from the local dude building the wheelset....errrrrr

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/img0266hb.jpg/]
[/URL]

And I want to give a BIG thanks to SBP and AGK for their great products and very fast shipping! Both of these little companies rock and will get my business with out a doubt! Thanks you guys!!! And also thank you for being sponsors in the upcoming race event at Willow Springs.....Piston Bikes and everyone else as well!

dance1

AGK & SBP ROCK!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Finally got the wheelset.....two or so weeks late but hey, here they are......

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/img0285kp.jpg/]
[/URL]

So glad to see these parts finally....hope to be riding the tandem by this coming Sunday......can't wait!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Decided to go with the 180mm rotor on the rear....pictured is an XTR 160mm that I will exchange tomorrow. Using the Avid BB7 rear stopper until we go hydrolic. Another Odessey "Path" 24" tire and a new rear brake lever should be the final parts needed for completion....

Oh, and a bellcrank needed for the 3-speed shifter as well......

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Decided to go with the 180mm rotor on the rear....pictured is an XTR 160mm that I will exchange tomorrow. Using the Avid BB7 rear stopper until we go hydrolic. Another Odessey "Path" 24" tire and a new rear brake lever should be the final parts needed for completion....

Oh, and a bellcrank needed for the 3-speed shifter as well......

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The wheels are rolling again on this build......time to button up this build and tune it for racing. Should be riding it by the end of this week-end.....here we go again

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/img0287vd.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/img0290wp.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/img0288jw.jpg/]
[/URL]

more tomorrow...

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
More fabrication and modification today......had to replace the stepped 9mm Sturmey Archer short front axle with a much longer 10mm axle to fit the Suzuki front fork. Finally got the rear disc brake caliper mounted and tomorrow will install the cables to get everything in working order. Now waiting for the last few parts that I ordered at the last minute......22t rear final drive cog and the rest of the header to finish the exhaust.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/img0297h.jpg/]
[/URL]