New tandem build, from the old tandem.....

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ahhh, just the place to start a thread on a new tandem build.....from an old tandem. My buddy Pat and I are taking the rack mounted Kawasaki 120cc 4-stroke and mounting it in-frame and adding some other goodies to it as well. Some of those goodies will include some beefy front suspension forks, an all black paint job, drum and/or disc brakes and gears, too name a few.

Sit back and enjoy the build of "The Black Beast".....an in-frame odyssey and awesome tandem for sure.....

The powerplant with face-lift

And the frame below, awaiting some major surgery....

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is the tandem before with the engine mounted on a rack that I built for it....it worked very well. Imagine how well it's gonna work with the engine in-frame?!?!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/img0017py.jpg/]
[/URL]

Ready for cutting and welding.....

Last edited by a moderator:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks guys, here's a little more of the frame taking shape for the mid-engine, multi-speed, bicycle built for two......yeah!

A little more welding, some sanding and grinding.......then comes the paint.

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is the new front wheel that will be mounted to the new front suspension fork

and this is the new 3-spd.rear hub.that will be getting laced-up to a 24" wheel also

Got sprockets, cogs, chainrings and bearings all on order to get this beast back on track again.....stay tuned

dnut

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This is the "Goofers" way of making bicycle handlebars fit this fork as quoted by Helmutt Cycles; "OK. Goofers.. Helmutt is going to tell ya. the correct way to make the 7/8's handle Bars work,and any other way is wrong.. Sorry I'm so Blunt But I am.."

This may be a crude way too make them fit, but it's not the wrong way......reamers rock in the hands of a skilled cheap builder!

dnut

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Again, thanks guy's, it is really coming together as the welding I finished today along with the upper motor mount bracket and beefed up kickstand support.

It is time for sanding and painting now and then the real fun begins.......putting it all back together with the new gearing and all! It really is a fun and challenging transformation from the bike it once was. I wonder what will be next?

dnut

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Coming along... gonna be a honker for sure. I'll be interested to hear how differently it handles or feels with the engine down low in the frame. I suppose it's mostly at a stop or very low speed that you noticed it feeling top heavy with the rack mount. This has to be lots better. Looks good, too.
That reamer looks like a quick solution to the handlebar problem. I used my dremel tool with a little sanding drum. Takes longer, but also works. Fine looking fork... hat weight oil are you running in it?
SB

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I put 5w Maxima fork oil in it and it feels perfect.....that fork is gonna work great on the tandem.

The Maxima fork oil is Harley-Davidson Type B and it is clearer than spring water.

Last edited: