sneak peak of acme V twin

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
well, we just got a call from the pattern shop and our blue prints and patterns will be ready to pick up on saturday, will be after the holidays before we get them to the foundry. then machining will have to be set up. we plan to have 5 sets of cases pored for the first batch and may sell up to 3 of them to persons who want to do there own machining. these are not meant to be street legal engines, there for people who want a V twin. no set price yet but it will be more than $119.
i know it has been a long road so far and appreciate everyone enthusiasm and patience. (some of you at least) and it will still take time to machine and test but the end is in site. thanks, john.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't have any expectations of this engine ever being mass produced (or even being inexpensive...)
I just think it's gonna be real cool!!! & I wanna see this thing run! (^)
Big props to Acme Labs!

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Truth of the matter is, reading about this intriquing engine is cool but, until there are running versions available, it's just an interesting read. I for one, would LOVE to build something around one of these. Perhaps that will happen. Time will tell.

For now, we can simply sit back and enjoy the updates, encourage Camlifter and the guys and, watch the MB hobby expand if it comes to market. Think back to the kits that were available just a few years ago and the "stuff" that has been engineered to make these kits better. The hobby is on the upswing and whether or not THIS twin makes it to market, it will definitely contribute to it. You could say that it already has!

If the parts used inside of this casing are still very similar to the single slug version that we all know, I'd be really interested in the availability of a case (with necessary internal components) that would allow someone to build their own twin using parts sourced from the singles. Not sure if that would even be possible but, it could keep the initial cost down and allow the builder to complete their package as they wished (think color, polishing, etc).

Just thinkin through a keyboard.... Change will be offered once we figure out the value of the preceeding opinion... :D

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
yes, these casings are made to accept all the parts from the HT motors, the pistons, rods, cranks, heads, carbs, jugs, even the gears all come from the china girl. the area where the jugs bolt onto will have extra material so you could use other jugs from mopeds or other engines, so it's still a piston port engine.

fishguts

Sep 7, 2010
southeastern MA
That's what I assumed.

I came up with the same solution when I was mocking some stuff up. Two engines, remove the external casting that gets in the way (mostly the clutch part of the front motor and the forward mount of the rear motor) so you can snug them up together at about 60 degrees, bridge between them with aluminum plate TIG'd in place, put a clutch gear between and below the shaft gears, running on it's own shaft and bearing mounted in the lower aluminum bridge plate. Flip the rear engine's cylinder around and make a nifty "Y" intake and mount a carb that suits the combined cc's of the two engines. Set the gearing so the engines run 180 degrees apart.

Anyway, that was my bench engineering. I'm building a 50cc V-twin this winter based on this approach (weed wacker motors).

Sounds like these guys are moving beyond the home brewed TIG'd together thing to getting cases cast. That's a big step, but will make a much nicer finished product than what I'll be knocking together. Whether fabbed up at home or built with custom castings, it just isn't possible to make something like this cheap. Of course, I guess that depends on what a person considers "cheap". Something really unique is worth the extra time, trouble and cost.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Just wanted to say if you'd like to see more mini combustion engines just google miniature engines on youtube!

Sure would like to see this engine or any others that are mini v-twins, for motorizing a bicycle!

Here' one to get you started, just click on the link below for the hoglet:
YouTube - Miniature Harley Davidson engine

For all you Harley addicts here's a sweet Panhead,
Scale Running Model Harley Panhead Engine by Ron Colonna
YouTube - Scale Running Model Harley Panhead Engine by Ron Colonna

$5000.00 1913 Motorized Bicycle Harley, click on link below:
YouTube - Flashback Motorcycles by JEFF HORN

Cam & jdmpunk, any chance of you guy's or maybe even Jim ( Creative Engineering ) or others, building something like these mini CNC Milled engines on youtube that I've Linked above?

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Cant wait to see this motor going, and if the price is right ill def be ordering one and building a custom boardtracker. Keep up the good work guys and who cares what the naysayers think, they'll just be eating the dust of those on the V-twins

bbassfisher

Oct 13, 2008
treasure coast fla.
Hey I'M back,(so what)
Finaly got to see what the new cases are going to be like.
looking good guys.
Well like hurry up already.
any ideas as to cost for us will be? or to early to tell yet.
Put me on the waiting list.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Just wanted to say if you'd like to see more mini combustion engines just google miniature engines on youtube!

Sure would like to see this engine or any others that are mini v-twins, for motorizing a bicycle!

Here' one to get you started, just click on the link below for the hoglet:
YouTube - Miniature Harley Davidson engine

For all you Harley addicts here's a sweet Panhead,
Scale Running Model Harley Panhead Engine by Ron Colonna
YouTube - Scale Running Model Harley Panhead Engine by Ron Colonna

$5000.00 1913 Motorized Bicycle Harley, click on link below:
YouTube - Flashback Motorcycles by JEFF HORN

Cam & jdmpunk, any chance of you guy's or maybe even Jim ( Creative Engineering ) or others, building something like these mini CNC Milled engines on youtube that I've Linked above?

Peace Crazy Horse.
Cam & jdmpunk, just curious what are the possibilities / chance that you could manufacture or reproduce your V-twin engine or the mini engines linked above fabricated and or manufactured by CNC Milling process?

Here's the 90 Degree V-Twin's completed by the Pitt Community College machining project. Howell 90 Degree V-twin project by the 2010 graduating class. See link below for this video!

YouTube - V twin engine

I'm not sure of the cost associated with completing a Howell 90-Degree V-Twin, or any of the others linked above, anyone with knowledge of what it takes to produce these engines or other information about this type of manufacturing process please share it here!

Peace Crazy Horse.