Need OCC chopper gearing advice

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I hated the stock 44 on my Jesse James build so what's a good size for the OCC sprocket?
I run a 36 on My Pig and would like comparable gearing. I'm thinking maybe a 34 or so?
Anyone running single speed OCC please chime in with your thoughts!

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
I've used the same 44T on two different kit builds. It worked well on both the 26" cruiser and the OCC Stingray. Tested with a few different sized pilots, it had a nice balance between acceleration and top speed. Never tried another, but never felt the need either.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well I've got several 44's laying around so I'll surely try it. The Jesse James was way too slow with the 44 and topped out about 17-20mph. Hated it, especially with the miserable riding position. This OCC sits a lot better, but I still don't know if I'm thrilled how it rides.
The fork wants to flop over from poor geometry even after swapping for the wcc fork for less rake, which is a problem for my traditional bicycle taste. Makes it twitchy at speed and I hate a bike that feels twitchy.
I'm on the slow and stable side of the fence in handling taste since I always toss it in when trying to go fast, and stability lets me get sillier before things go pear shaped.
But it looks so good as is, I have to try it.
I'm glad to hear the parts I have will work! Thanks for the info!

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
I noticed that same problem with the original OCC triple tree, as well. They always want to flop to one side or the other when standing. The handling definitely takes some getting used to.
You should get some decent speed out of it, but remember these engines were mainly designed toward lighter bicycle frames; cruisers and the like. More bike+ same rider weight=decreased speed and acceleration.
In my experience, those two bikes performed similarly despite their weight and frame differences. I noticed a slight drop off in overall performance with the OCC, but not really enough to make one complain about it.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm fully aware and planning a jackshaft/shifter style driveline eventually as budget permits for exactly this reason.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
The steering geometry on my Stingray was terrible, with no caster.
You want to get a good 2" of trail/caster.
With a 20" rear wheel 36t would be OK,
A 32t would probably be what I'd go for

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been thinking about new dropouts to improve steering but I'm afraid the needed amount will never look right.
Trying not to get into frame mods just yet. No jig.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I already swapped to the Jesse James set which has NO built in rake, It's all head tube and trail.
Still feels wrong but like the looks. Time will tell!
I did some work on it today.
Mounted the ragjoint. I know, I know, only 6 bolts. I got lazy.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Also gathered parts for the brake upgrade and relocation...
I'm moving them to upper rail to get out of the chainline in the rear.
Still need a set of posts for the rear but I have the forks. Just need to cut them.

And adding front brakes as well. Cheap and easy! Works like a champ!

A bit of grinding to get a flush, proper fit, and 5 minutes welding MUCH better braking.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been eyeing the RM 250 I have sitting out back....those inverted forks sure are huge and would look mighty nice on a bicycle. Overkill but still...