For Old Guys Only

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Gravity!! Explains why there is nothing on top but the hair on my chin nearly reaches the old belly button. Nuthin' but gravity.

Dan

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Well now, if you are getting taller physics is no longer in this discussion, 'cause I'm down 1 1/2 inches. (in height). How can I be just like you Tom?

Dan

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well now, if you are getting taller physics is no longer in this discussion, 'cause I'm down 1 1/2 inches. (in height). How can I be just like you Tom?

Dan
I am shrinking too, lost over an inch and 20# in weight but maybe gravity is less here?
All my hair stays up top, lots of it ;-}

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Probably correct on that. I have noticed that lifting things off the ground seem to weigh more than lifting the same object off a table. Does that mean gravity is stronger nearer the ground? Of course it does!

Dan

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think there was an error a long time ago and nobody corrected it and now we're stuck with it. On my keyboard B and V are next to each other.

I think somebody meant to type graBity, and hit the V instead, and it was copied everywhere.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Probably correct on that. I have noticed that lifting things off the ground seem to weigh more than lifting the same object off a table. Does that mean gravity is stronger nearer the ground? Of course it does!

Dan
Its relative to how tall the person is with that logic.

Please don't forget at the earth poles as opposed to the equator objects weigh 0.5% more due to greater distance (Equator Bulge) from center of the earth.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

There equator does have that and also greater distance from earths center, both combined.

Mentioned in the link above, it seems at great elevation the thinner air mean less buoyancy and that makes things heavier, but it is swamped out by the spinning and the greater distance from earths center gravity being less.

Other that I saw in link above, I may have not have though of really about weightlessness in orbit, like the space station. It is not due to the distance from the center of the earth, but from the free fall of orbit path. They mention at space station height there is still 90% the pull of gravity that would be on the earths surface.

I cut my oranges pole to pole as they are easier to eat that way!

MT

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Never being a fan of that group I found that funny because that's what I always called them. Saturday Morning cartoon music aimed at an audience of 12 year olds.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
For me, the Commodores became the "Ca-mode-ers" when Lionel took the lead role......kinda like how Michael MacDonald ruined the Doobie Brothers ----- in my opinion.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Tom, what'chu try'n to say???

Is Keanu Reeves involved in any way?? If so, I'm truly scared!

(Or is it scarred??)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This will separate the old guys from the others. Who remembers lighting fireworks with 'Punc'. Not sure of the spelling, maybe 'punk' but whatever, it was a bamboo stick with a coating that burned and let you light the fuse of firecrackers or other fireworks without using a lighter or a burning cigarette.

Funny thing is when I was older and stationed in Vietnam and Thailand I used to see Buddhist monks and others placing the same burning sticks at temples. They were called 'Jos sticks' but they looked and smelled the same as what we used to use as kids to light firecrackers.

Along the same line, who remembers 'Incense burners'. They were usually little brass or porcelain dishes that you put a lump of a wood-like item in, light it and it would give off a pleasant smelling smoke. My Dad hated them but my Mom was always burning them in our house. Odd, but they too smelled about the same as 'Jos Sticks'. :)

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Tom,

You've hit a soft spot in my youth. So much of it involved fireworks and firecrackers in particular. Punks (the way we spelled it) were 3 for five cents and one would last for hours.
I googled them and they said it is a piece of bamboo covered in dried manure or sawdust.

Dry, rotten wood was always called punk by the old timers when I was growing up. When it was lit it would smoulder for hours and as long as it had source of oxygen it would burn as long as there was material to burn.
We used small dried tree roots and saved the nickle for fireworks.

Incense burners. My mother and my English grandmother used them quite often as well. I think my grandmother probably used them because they would have masked the stale odors in the houses in England since they were closed up due to the poor weather. One of the big deals when you went to grandmas house was getting to light the incense.

They came in a small wooden box the size of a small match box but taller and were cone shaped with many different scents. My favorite was sandal wood.

Steve.