Strange Brew

GoldenMotor.com

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
wow! Axle tugs? That was some excellent information KC and a tip that I've never read on here. This is stuff that needs to go in the memory banks and I don't even own a nexus hub. Thanks for a great read KCvale!

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Cannonball, That's a really nice bike and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see nothing unattractive about it, just it's functional good looks. LOL

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for your many insights and advice KC!

And to you both for the kind comments on the build.
You are both more than welcome.
I came here as a green rookie and got good advice, I have learned a lot since then and simply 'passing it forward' is all.

I encourage everyone that has tips to pass them on to the next generation as well.
I know it is time consuming, especially with good pics, but don't ya wish you had them when you started?

I do all kinds of stuff and take lots of pics so really pretty easy for me to give back to community, and the time luxury to do it is all ;-}

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's a great philosophy KC.

We have not always seen things from the same direction, but I have a great deal of respect for your talents and for the things you have developed.

Keep it coming!

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well guess this wraps it up. I dropped the ratio by replacing the 28t third reduction primary sprocket with a 22t liberated from a multispeed free wheel and welded to the bottom bracket spindle. This makes an ideal ratio starting around 29:1 in first 22:1 in second and 16:1 in third. Calculated speeds are 14mph in first, 22 in second and 31 in third. This is at 7k rpm. I'm pretty sure the engine will turn a bit more than that. These seem in line from riding it. Main thing is the engine can pull third now for a nicely relaxed cruise.

So far my experience with this type engine is very positive. Smooth with good torque with a fairly linear band. If this engine is close in longevity to the many of this type I have run over the years on equipment it should last quite a while.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks KC!

Rode the bike yesterday on an extended run and it did well. The smoothness makes all the difference on a long ride. I assume I was making around 30mph(no speedo) as I kept up with traffic on the main drag in town where the 30mph limit is closely observed. This was below full throttle so am expecting maybe the mid 30s. I do believe this engine makes more HP/torque than my CG as it climbs the few small rises we have here a bit better even in 3rd.

The Nexus is hanging in there so far. I have become a tad bit more aggressive with it but still am easy with the engine speed matching.

If anyone wants to duplicate this type build use the common 4stroke reduction transmission. It should align perfectly with the bottom bracket making the build much simpler.

I guess this one is completed, not planning to do much more to it, just leave it bare bones.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Awesome KOOL. I have a Mitsubishi, Bike Machine Motor friction drive from the 50's 60' and a pocket bike motor. There is not a hole lot a differance in them,same size clutch and all. Still runs good after all these years, looks a lot like yours. ...........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Been lurking in the back ground,love your build. If you need a SA hub let me know,will send one off........................Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Been lurking in the back ground,love your build. If you need a SA hub let me know,will send one off........................Curt
Not to get off topic, but if you can get me any of these I'll take a few.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/s-rk3

It sucks they were not popular with the spandex crowd as they are perfect for what I am doing with fat tire shifters, and now hard to find.