Predator 212

GoldenMotor.com

cschade

Aug 8, 2014
United States
After building my first bike with a China bike kit, adding a SBP shift kit, and ending up spending 1300 bucks in total on the bike with a not very satisfying result, I have decided to sell my bike and build another based off a Harbor Freight 212cc engine.

I have heard really bad stories about cheap frames being destroyed by these big guys, and I built a go kart with one so I am well acquainted with their power (and potential destructiveness)!

Therefore, I want to go about this as systematically as possible. After hitting up the Scotto threads I feel that I have a better idea of a good, methodical way to go about this.

My three questions are this...

(1) I am planning on between a 4:1 and a 6:1 gear ratio. I am a 140lb rider and we have moderate hills around here, but I know that these engines don't lack for torque. Thoughts, questions, comments, concerns?

(2) I really want suggestions on a good bike FRAME that will be able to handle this engine. I'm going to mount the engine horizontally; I know how to weld but don't trust my skills enough to do welding on the structural components of the frame.

(3) I'm planning on a budget of about 6 to 7 hundred dollars for this build. Anybody think I'm out of my mind?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I don't have a 212, but I do have a 148 on my schwinn which is about 4-4.5hp. I've also been considering a 212-- possibly just a swap in onto my bike. Also considering smaller motors.

(1) If ya want the super tall ratio like that.. start with 6:1. It is going to be pretty damn tall as it is. At 3600 rpm, 26" tires that will give ya 46mph. Not sure how much you can adjust the governor, but if you can get 4500rpm out of it, switching to 7:1 will give you better acceleration and a high of 50mph. My own bike accelerates slowly under 20mph and tops out at 46mph with 8:1 single speed.

(2) Seems the Felt Slant is the popular choice. Maybe Worksman frames but I don't know about fitment. I think any well built steel frame with at least 3/16" dropouts will work- read: minimum price $250. Was at the LBS the other day and saw some "Electra" bikes selling for as low as $275 that had pretty thick dropouts and lots of space. Dunno the brand.

(3) Sure.. if ya buy everything used.. maybe.. I have a grand in my bike but I did it the long and hard way. Spent too much money on things that didn't work. I think if I knew exactly what parts to buy and how to do everything, it could have been done for under $800. Brand new parts? Fuggeddaboutit!!

Good luck to ya.

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Last edited: