Shift Kit + Nuvinci = (Grin)

GoldenMotor.com

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I have been riding on the Nuvinci hub for a few days now and I have to say that I really really like it. I am using an 18 tooth rear gear and the transmissions range seems to be about perfect for me. Low is really low. Ever had a truck with a bull gear? Bull Gear, Inc. - What is a Bull Gear!?

Low is like that. Its about as low as you can go while still being useful. This is a very good thing. It makes starting the bike very easy. It also makes hill climbing a breeze which is good because where I live is surrounded by some rather intense hills. San Francisco style intense.

The high end seems to be about perfect as well. On flat terrain the engine just starts to bog down when at top speed if I shift the hub all the way to the top end. Back it off just a hair and the motor is fine so I know it would benefit from a little more power.

I wasn't able to order the Nuvinci hub from any of my local bike shops so I ordered it from Fanatik Bikes in Bellingham. When I went to pick it up I opened the box to check that everything was there and discovered that there was no freewheel. Rus at Fanatik checked the dealer catalog and it indicated that a freewheel should have been included so he called his distributor and Fallbrook to find out what was up. The documentation with the hub didn't have a parts list either so there was no way to know what was missing. As it turns out the hub kits are no longer shipping with freewheels so I had what I was supposed to have. Please note that the kit doesn't include the outside part of the cable (sheathing) so you will need to purchase that as well.

The next part of the fun was trying to find someone to build a wheel for me. I learned something valuable from this experience. Most bike shops will build a wheel for you but very few of them actually have a tool to cut threads on spokes. Most just order the size spokes they need and go from there. This works most of the time as most wheel parts are fairly standard. Unfortunately the Nuvinci hub is bigger than most hubs so this method doesn’t work. The first shop I took the hub to had it for a week before they gave up. The second shop I went to, Mighty Riders, specialize in building wheels and have all the right tools. They did a great job.

Now that my wheel is built it was time to install it. The instructions with the hub are very good and I had no difficulty at all with the installation. I would strongly suggest reading the part about winding the cables on the cogs carefully and be sure you understand this part. Be certain to take the time to measure the cable carefully when you get to that part and triple check this measurement. There is no need to cut any cables until you are almost complete and you are sure you have done it all correctly.

The hub itself is very heavy. While this is not a good thing the bright side is that it seems very well constructed and it feels meaty so I think it will be durable. The controller/shifter is probably the one part of the setup that I like the least. I don’t like plastic parts on my bike but I really don’t have much choice with this setup. I have to use their controller. The inch worm display is nifty but it doesn’t do me much good as I have to have the shifter mounted on the left side of my handle bars. This makes the display point away from me so I can’t see it while riding. Also this shifter didn’t fit well with the standard lockout clutch lever we use so I had to switch to a different lever for the clutch.

In operation the hub makes riding the bike a very smooth and pleasurable experience. When under load it won’t let you shift so basically you just let off the throttle and twist the shifter nob about as much as you think you need, then hit the throttle again. There is no clunking or snapping as you can get with derailleur style gearing so the entire drive-line experiences less shock and strain.

I’m having a great time with this bike and I would like to thank Rus at Fanatik, Ed and Matt at Mighty Riders and Paul and Jim at Sick Bike Parts for all their help. Thanks guys!

Attachments

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Man that is one sick bike, I am a bit jealous and I think my machine rocks. Sounds like the hub is handling the stress of the engine well. We can check the NuVinci off the list of haven't tried it yet and don't know if it will work. It appears that it works fine. I like the fact that you have to back out of the throttle to change ratios, easy on the equipment.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
I made your bike my new desktop pic....love it!

Speaking of crossing off the list and backing off the throttle....has anyone tried shaft kit and sturmay archer or shimano 3 speed yet?

Can you shift under power with it?

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
let's see, Felt, Nuvinci, SickShaft, Brooks B67... you've gone beyond the wildest imaginings of any motor bike builder... you've sucked the air out of the motor bike universe... there's nothing left!

please tell us that tank is not really a functioning tank! throw us a bone!

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
That's gotta be one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen!
Man!!!!! All I can said is......YUMMY!!!

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI all,
Besides the Nu Vinci , I would like to try an SRAM duo drive (3 speed internal tranny PLUS a freehub....If it has a cro mo axle I would almost do it in a heartbeat.....

Andrew

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Wow,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Your desktop honors me Radmanfly! Thank you very much.

I think you can definitely cross the Nuvinci off the list. It works extremely well.

I really like your machine Ghost0 too. In fact my next project will be much like it. As it turns out I already have most of the parts. The Shift kit I purchased for the green bike is going to be used on it instead.

Andy, Top speed on this setup atm on a flat road is about 47kmh. The engine is basically stock. I have ported the intake and exhaust and that’s about it. Now that gearing isn't the limiting factor any increases in hp will directly increase top speed.

UncleKudzu, I’m sorry to have to inform you that the tank does indeed hold fuel. I am very pleased with how that worked out. It is properly sealed and I am confident that it will maintain its integrity.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Dang, that's a nice setup there. I was wondering how long it would be before someone used a nuvinci with the shifter kit.

It's actually a little disappointing that you have to back off the throttle to "shift." I figured you could just roll on the throttle and gradually adjust the ratio on the nuvinci. Oh well.

I think I read somewhere that the nuvinci can handle like 95 lbs of torque or so...considering our motors don't put nearly that amount to the ground, I think it'll be ok.

Now someone just needs your setup with a Morini motor *cough*Easy*cough* ... :D

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Love this bike. The gears that are available with this system are just the way you need them. Like you say start up and climbing are so much easier. Top end is not winding it out but in the power band so the motor should last 10 times longer with this set up.

Last edited:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
The Sick Bike Parts Shift-Kit incorporates a front freewheel. This prevents any bump starting so yes you do have to pedal to start it. The nice thing that the Nuvinci hub adds is that the lowest gear setting is so low that most of the energy you use to fire the engine goes into starting the bike instead of moving it forward. This makes starting easier.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Integral gas tank, NO visible cables, pretty lines. Front drum brake, rear Nu Vinci hub with a sick bike parts kit.

Honestly I would have bought staton kit! And spent about the same.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Integral gas tank, NO visible cables, pretty lines. Front drum brake, rear Nu Vinci hub with a sick bike parts kit.

Honestly I would have bought staton kit! And spent about the same.
you could do that, but then your bike would not look near as cool as this 1
this bike is so cool, it is now my screen saver, I only wish there were more pics of it for that folder but I am happy with the five I have.