Dax gp50 9hp wow !!

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
dax, kick down and buy a Worksman wheel. they're indestructable. my buddy runs a worksman front wheel on his custom Triumph chopper motorcycle with no problems, and that thing weighs ten times as much as a bike.

torque-wise, they'll handle it. i've been looking at older 50cc race motorcycles, and they're not much beefier than a bicycle wheel.

but, they're not running rag joints. if it doesn't work out, you (or potential buyers) could run moped hubs. drum brakes, hub-mounted sprockets, and plenty of sprocket sizes are available.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I do not see any way for a rear mount friction drive as the PTO is a 420 10T sprocket. Thanks for the tips on wheels as I may need to upgrade at least my rear wheel. I will run the current one and see if it gets shredded. Well. So far, this is the build. Engine is now mounted. Alignment is spot on. I used a 415 chain for alignment but will have to get a 420 as the 415 is just too tight around the engine sprocket. As you can see, it fits near perfect. I had to lean the motor back slightly so I would have room to fit some sort of exhaust. Right side Crank hits. Other than that, it has been an easy build so far. In only 2 hours, this is where she sits.. Check it out !! I may be able to fire this baby up and hear what she sounds like. Having it lean back a little may allow for me to over fill the gear box and clutch a little, but that may not be a bad thing to have a little extra Valvoline Merc Dex in there. Check it out !! This is exciting !!

Attachments

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
The dam exhaust port is STILL pointing directly forward!
if your going to clone the Morini, then at least address some of its problems.
OFF SET THE EXHAUST PORT TO THE LEFT PLEASE!
FR

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Darn it !! What happened to my perfect world !!! This engine was designed to fit the double cradle frame. Also.. It is not a clone of the Morini. It is a clone of the KTM. So the problem is my frame and not the exhaust port. But FarRider, your point is well taken and I wish they would have considered that someone like me and you would have a desire to mount this motor into a Bicycle with a Single down tube !!!! What were those guys thinking? Right ? Anyway.. I have enough room for an exhaust, I simply need the tools and right parts to make it happen. Parts are on the way giving me time to digest my next move... Enjoy the ride..

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
On a previous pic it shows the exhaust with a half in. pipe sticking out of the jug. I don't see any mounting holes for bolts. How is an exhaust supposed to mount to that? You need a 90 deg adapter it seems.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Here is what I have made up till now for Exhaust. Using 2.5in da tubing and a muffler from a long tube header. The 2.5 inch pipe should allow for some expansion and then hit with a more typical F series muffler. I will see how quiet this is as being quiet has priority for me over power as I feel this engine has more than enough power. Pipe is mounted to engine per typical race bike with springs and spring grab handles on pipe. I will have to tack weld some grab handles on to my pipe in proper locations. See pictures. I tried to make a 360 ridge inside my pipe to mate to the Exhaust tube from motor by using a 2.5 inch muffler camp and then over tightening it. It worked but the ridge was to close to motor and prevented me from getting the pipe on as far as needed. Had to redo the 70 degree piece. More cut and weld was required. I will take a hammer and punch and put a ridge into the pipe by hand as I should be better able to place the ridge where it is needed to make a seal to the exhaust port of engine. And then I will get some stout springs and tack on my Grab handles.. And.. Then.. I should be good to test and see how well this works.. I still need my 420 chain as well.. Darn it !! I was hoping my 420 chain would arrive today !! No joy on that end. But. The build is coming along..

Attachments

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Great find Dax! Looks like a real nice quality motor. I bet that motor will come to life more once you get an expansion to replace the HT exhaust.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.... Using this exhaust it is still too loud for me. I can be around it now with out using ear muffs, but still too loud as I am looking for stealth mode. I want all the power but none of the loudness. I know there is compromise in that equation that I am willing to accept. So. The search is on.. But for now, it will do as I really want to ride and see what the experience is like. I can tell that the motor is running super rich and will need leaning. This is expected being that I am at 5500 feet or so, but since we have no humidity, we are equated at around 9000 feet for HP reasons.. So.. Some leaning is expected. But I can tell from my stagnate runs and throttle ups under no load that I am super fat and it will need some Jetting as I am sure moving the needle will not be enough. Since the engine comes with a 10T 420 and my 420 chain has not arrived yet, I am in idle mode. Also ordered a 43T rear 420 sprocket today. So.. In Idle mode for the next 3-4 days.. Enjoy the ride..

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Great find Dax! Looks like a real nice quality motor. I bet that motor will come to life more once you get an expansion to replace the HT exhaust.
Dax, for a temporary pipe, you could attach SBP's or other vendors' expansion pipes, instead of the HT stock exhaust. Altho it was not a perfect match for my CY460 or Tanaka 47R engines, it helped quite a bit. It also quieted both engines down VERY much.

Just a thought, until you get a permanent exhaust for that engine.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Hey Dax, Most of the noise comes from the intake. My friend mage this hokie baffle made of a 2 liter bottle and it covered most of the air filter. Also he added another silencer and his bike was decent on the noise but for some reason, these motors are just plain loud.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
It's going to be real hard to quiet that thing down to chinagirl noise levels. It's a high performance engine! That would be like trying to put a pedestrian exhaust system on an F-1 racecar engine or something. High horsepower per cube = loud engine in the powerband.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Thanks for the Tip. I will give that a try.. For now.. I only want to get it going and see what it is like to ride a high power version bike !! Still waiting for 420 chain..

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Will a KMC 415H fit. They have always worked perfect on my Morini machines. They last well too. Never had a prob with one yet. Their chain is made a little different than the average Chinese kit ones.