WHEELS for velocars, velomobiles and other multi-wheelers

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Check out the wide hubs and wheels on this.......................Curt

http://megadeluxe.com/design/mercedes-benz-f-cell-roadster-with-hybrid-drive
I have a gimpy leg, and I can pedal faster than 15 miles per hour (this Merc's top speed). Granted, I could not pedal for 217 miles straight (the Merc's range) but let me ask this: who really wants to travel even a hundred miles moving at the "blistering speed" of 15 mph?
I think if I got me a decent recumbent, I could put this thing to shame without using gas or electric while so doing.
Looks interesting though.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
I have a gimpy leg, and I can pedal faster than 15 miles per hour (this Merc's top speed). Granted, I could not pedal for 217 miles straight (the Merc's range) but let me ask this: who really wants to travel even a hundred miles moving at the "blistering speed" of 15 mph?
I think if I got me a decent recumbent, I could put this thing to shame without using gas or electric while so doing.
Looks interesting though.
-------------------------------------------------
Hello Allen,
You are quite right about Mercedes practicability (not to mention price that should be astronomic!)...
In Europe, there is limit of 25 km/hour ~ 15 mph for bicycles with assistance (no mater on number of wheels)... But, there is no need for drives of 300 km and more? For me - some 50 km ~ 31 miles would be more than enough! Mostly, I would use velocar for short trips around 10-15 km ... With electric-motor for assistance that would be quite easy, even up some hils, with some kind of healthy excersise...
Ciao, Zoran

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Check this out LUD II posted it on Volo cars post. Has nice wide wheel hubs. ......Curt

http://www.eritenis.lv/en/electric_rickshaw/retro/index.html

Think maybe i found the perfict swap meet buggy here, put a nice quit Briggs on it.
--------------------------
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Hello Curt,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]I just wanted to write comments about wheels... Rear wheels looks to me as workshop made, cute and quite strong? Front wheel could be off-the-shelf...

Pity that there are not any photo with transmission, but you will “invent” something! For steering, I would like something safer than that small lever! Maybe something in classic-bicycle style... [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]No problem to transform it to 4-wheeler! Just to install some kind of swivel axle. Karl Benz did it on later models...
--- ---
BTW, if we made our own hub (a'la AtomicZombi) and have proper rim - how we could calculate length of wire-spokes?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Unicode MS, sans-serif]Ciao,
Zoran [/FONT]

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Somewere on the forum there is a spoke calculater,would have to search. Thats a good picture,i would put a buggy spring in between with radious rod to support,like a model T Ford. For the rear i think regular 26" trike wheels with haevy spokes would be do good. For power i think i would use a lawn tractor engine and rear end. I have one with 12hp twin briggs and hydrostatic rear i think would be perfict............Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Curt,
My idea was that I would choose bicyce's rim (for instance 26") and wire-spokes for 24" wheel, so I could build my own hubs, wider and with bigger diameter then original bicycle's... So, knowing lenght of spokes and diameter of rim - to calculate diameter of hub! But, that is the same process of calculation, I suppose?
Zoran