getting hard to start

GoldenMotor.com

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
I have a 80 cc china girl its runs fine, still breaking it in. I have about 60 miles on it, I got rid of the original spark plug and got a ngk, I'm not sure of the numbers but I got it from our atv shop they seen the bike and sold me the plug, but now I pedal to start and some times when I release the clutch the back tire skids second time it fires up, any ideas?

Ronzworld

Feb 21, 2014
Regina,Saskatchewan
It does this every time the same ? only since plug change ?
Doesn't really 'add' up ... pretty slim chance of a spark plug being the reason for a symptom like that // actually , a 'symptom' like that doesn''t really "add' up ... I know that with most of these motors it seems that after being parked from riding . the next time the bike is used , you have too , almost always , kind of 'break' the drive line 'free' .. by this I mean that these little motors seem too need a little 'bump' too make sure that everything is turning freely before attempting too start them after sitting idle for any length of time .. so before you start it .. just rol forward and pop the clutch just to make sure that all is operating freely .. you will most likely hear a little bit of a 'click' as the wheel first breaks loose to start turning . If you get in the practice of this I think you will find the 1st 'skid' try will no longer be present.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
probably just the rings starting to get seated and compression is going up a bit

release the clutch more slowly & keep pedaling while releasing it (don't know how many folks I see struggling because they stop pedaling when releasing the clutch)

aarcher30

Sep 18, 2014
masontown, pa
Yes its everytime, and ok I'll try releasing slower and to push a couple steps before I get on, thank both of you for your input I'll be giving it a try at 4 when I'm off work

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You have to pedal up to like 10MPH and keep pedaling as these things won't even run slower than that with stock gearing.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
That's a good sign, it means your compression's increasing: breaking-in.

I can actually walk start my engine; I have to since my pedal-chain is missing. To avoid what you've described, with the clutch engaged, I will gently roll the bike back until the engine-resistance prevents the wheel from turning, then I pull the clutch, start rolling forward, and pop the clutch. This assures that the engine turns-over during the lowest compression of its cycle and gives the flywheel enough momentum to quickly compress and fire.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds normal for an engine that is breaking in properly. The rings are seating and the compression is going up. Pedal faster. Like was said above, 10 MPH is about the minimum you want to be before engaging the clutch. Also 10 is about the minimum speed you want to go with the clutch engaged. Anything slower, disengage and use the pedals.

Tom