Electronic ignition module

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I'm working on a bike bug engine and rather than bothering Mike from Houston again I thought I'd take this question to you folks. I am putting an electronic ignition module on the engine and though I got spark once, I haven't got it since. I spliced the wire to the coil with the wire to the kill switch and to the positive side of the module. The negitive side goes to ground. What do I do with the lead wire?
Thanks

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no idea, but if you can find a schematic for it somewhere, you might find a capacitor in the circuit that you have charged up and now needs a path to discharge itself before the next fire cycle

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm working on a bike bug engine
I am putting an electronic ignition module on the engine and though I got spark once, I haven't got it since.
I have no clue what a Bug Bike is, but if it has a little (48cc-66cc) 2-stroke it has a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) module.
It has a black and blue wire in and the spark pug wire out.

I spliced the wire to the coil with the wire to the kill switch and to the positive side of the module. The negitive side goes to ground. What do I do with the lead wire?
Thanks
You put the kill button in series with the blue spark wire?
You know that kill button is a normally open switch you use to short the ignition to kill the engine right?
That means if it is in series you have to keep the button pressed in for it to run and the engine dies when you let go.

Most older magneto's have a black, blue and white wire.
Black is ground, blue is spark, cut the white wire off.
Just put the kill button across the black and wires.

Last edited:

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
A bike bug is a friction kit from the 70s also known as tas spitz or with the Sears free spirit name on it.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis

this is what I'm dealing with. the wire that still has the ring goes to the ignition coil and then to the park plug connector. the cut wire goes to the kill switch. Above left of the coil is a condenser. the cloth covered wire is the lead wire that I guess goes to the magneto, but I'm not sure.
I figured pictures made more sense