Fasteddys trike

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Bought this last thursday for $150. Motor runs great but the construction isn't very good.
Cheap used bikes here in the Vancouver area are hard to find and the best part is it was 20 minutes away.

Steve

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good. You old guys need 3 wheels. That way you won't fall off and hurt yourself :)

Cool find, Steven. That looks like a grocery getter for sure. What's the power plant? Is that an old Briggs?
Tom

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sorry Tom, I should have mentioned that. It's a Briggs and Stratton. No sign of any horse power rating but I'd take a wild guess at around 2 or 2-1/2HP. Young lad said it came off a lawn mower So I don't think it would be any bigger.

I mentioned not falling off to my brother but he's pretty sure that I'll find a way.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Harry,
I really not sure as yet. It was just a good deal for the money and close by so I bought it. I do think what ever I do will involve stretching it out.
It was made for a smaller person than me and would be nearly impossible to pedal. It has 24 inch wheels so it sits lower than I'm used to. As my brother pointed out it's not as far down to the ground when I fall off.

I may use the electric hub motor I had on the side car, on the front wheel and use the B&S engine on another project that I'm panning. I've got to be careful of the law here.

Steve.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah that makes a lot of sense, I quite like it with the Briggs, but like you said you must consider the law. Also doing away with the Briggs and using your electric motor will free up more space in the rear and make it very usable for groceries and such. Nice score!

I see a trike somewhere in my future, but way too many projects ATM, but I have plenty of time I guess. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Oh by the way, how big is the electric motor and how fast do you think it will propel this trike?

You mentioned it had 24" wheels, would you consider replacing them with 26's then you could do away with the rim brakes and do a more vintage style build, or do you not plan on getting that involved in this build?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I like it with the Briggs as well Harry but I am just to darned tired to stick the bear in the backside with the sharp stick anymore.
With our province running the police, the courts, making the laws and being the auto insurance company as well, they have it their way. Trouble is if you get caught here they'll have their way with you and your wallet.

The hub motor is laced into a new 26 inch rim and so I'll probably run it on the front and the 24's on the back. It has the usual skinny rims so I may change that out.

Not sure what to do with the brakes.
We are required to have a brake on every wheel with electric and can't go any faster than 30km/20mph an hour. Someone going 25 miles an hour on a bike with a coaster brake is ok though.

I think this will be pretty plain. Just a errand runner and store bike. Traffic is pretty heavy around here and many of the drivers would be happy to be behind a donkey and on a cart made with a rear axle from a truck in the old country. Now they are behind the wheel of a $80,000 BMW but mentally driving the donkey. Interesting for the rest of us.

The motor is our legal 500W with a 36V lithium polymer battery. Good for 20 to 25mph range with level riding is 15 to 20 miles. Pedaling helps out a great deal with the distance so it pays off.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I was once told that I was the unwitting victim of a very fertile mind.

Thank you for that link to the trikes. There is one like that in the plans for certain but I have other things to do first
As you mentioned the plans for this trike may be "adjusted" as the build goes along.
As a matter of fact that may have already started.

Steve

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
We think alike Fasteddy, if only we had more money and more hours in the day...... im short on cash but not short of ideas. Im constantly thinking about that next build. Its definitely an addiction

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice find, Steve!
Is it usable as it is? Just thinking you might bring it with you this summer when you come to Minnesota to tool around on as we do our other projects. Leave the Brigs on it, give it the electric front wheel and at summer's end remove the Briggs for use in B.C. Just a thought, since you have other projects going on. I may have a moped front fork you can have which would improve the ride some. I'd think that 20mph on a trike is plenty fast. Looks like fun to me.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Also, I have a Briggs engine which looks very much like that one. We can compare model numbers to see. Mine is rope start, but otherwise looks the same. No spark, but not frozen up and all there. I got it last year on a farm water pump for a few bucks. If it has some interchangeable parts and you want it I'll bring it with me when I go home this spring. I'm not doing anything with it.
Yes, I can see that as a kind of as is rat rod for this summer... riding up to the lake for a swim or out to the state park. If it bogs on a steep hill, kick in the electric front wheel as a booster and while in the park you can go just electric. A stealth hybrid, woohoo! Have fun with it looking kind of ratty and then later make it into whatever you want. I would think that if it had the gas motor removed while in Canada you'd be legal and then once in the states put the gas motor back on. Simple. Convertible. You could make a simple rack for over the motor to give a bit of cargo room. Maybe like a pickup truck box.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hey Silverbear did you and Harry76 team up? I thought I was supposed to be the bad influence on you two.

Spent another sleepless night building the trike in my mind. It came out great by the way.
The main problem with the trike as it is, is simply that it's a youth/womens build or a really crappy one. The frame is small and when a lump my size gets on it you have the Russian bear riding the bicycle effect. My brother enjoys working that into the conversation every chance he gets which is often.

The pedals are almost straight below the seat and with my problems it's a no go so I need to get the pedals ahead of the seat. Was out checking the frame this morning and I may be able to extend it and put the motor behind the seat post if I lengthen it there.
I'll have to move the pedals forward on the frame.

The guy that built it just undid the pedal chain and ran the chain to the jack shaft then to the rear hub. As it is now a good clutch on the motor to drive the belt to the jack shaft and it would work well but just not look as elegant as it could. He raided a scrap metal bin somewhere and it wasn't a good scrap bin.

That leaves it with no pedal chain to the rear end. That wouldn't be a problem until the flashing lights start and the ticket book comes out. At least that's the way I remember it.

Mid engine may help with the balance and the center of gravity. Kind of like a ships keel trying to counter balance Lumpy up top of the trike.

This clam just isn't electric friendly so I'll forgo that. Your right again Harry. It's going to be a vintage build. Just can't help myself.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear,
Thank you for the offer of the motor and I'll take you up on it. Don't see many for sale here. This one is rope start as well.
As far as it being a rat rod you could put this one on a pedestal as best of the breed.

Off to give it the creative stare once again.

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Fasteddy said, "Hey Silverbear did you and Harry76 team up? I thought I was supposed to br the bad influence on you two."

Yes sir, it is payback for the very bad influence you have had enticing me into new and elaborate enterprises such as building a velocar this summer. And that is after we finish up a tri-car scheme which you definitely helped into being. So I think it is only right that I return the favor.

I'll take a couple pictures of the motor I have and copy down the model number on it. Good if you can use it for something. If nothing else it would make a good anchor.
SB