Coaster brakes enough?

GoldenMotor.com

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Definitely not. You're unsafe, in my opinion, if you risk it.

Do a test -- get up to 30mph, and simulate a panic stop: lock up your coaster brake and see how long it takes to stop. I assure you the distance is unacceptable.

Add a front brake, and you'll increase your safety immensely.

I have a caliper style brake. Don 't like the looks or the (lack of) effectiveness. I'll be taking my bike down to the shop or a drum brake install on Saturday...if it doesn't snow again. :-/

I think a drum brake might suit the barebones look you're after. Give it a look.

Brenton

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I used my MB with only coaster brakes for years and thousands of miles...But I would recommend using front brakes; its so much safer!

:crash:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
I you're going to put an engine on it then yes, you need additional braking. I got my last 4 parts donor bikes at Goodwill. $7 apiece. 2 had usable caliper brakes. 2 had usable MTB suspension forks with braze-ons and V brakes front and rear.

If you don't want to swap forks, most cruiser forks have a hole at the bottom of the steerer for caliper brakes and/or fender. Most also have a brake bridge at the top of the seat stay for mounting a fender and/or caliper brakes.

I would definitely put additional brakes on it. I would add front calipers, at the very least. Coaster brakes are not dependable enough on their own for the speeds of a motorized bike.

Ted

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'll agree with Calgary, a front drum brake might help with that barebones look...you'll still need a brake lever for it though.