new, just bought kit, looks like motor dont fit!

GoldenMotor.com

Juls

May 10, 2008
Hello. We just bought two kits to install on our existing hybrid bikes however we are just now realizing the engine mounting won't fit the fatter frame.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to adjust the mounting, or should we just buy a cheap regular sized frame bike to mount them on?

We bought the 65 cc motor from thatsdax. We were hoping to get them running this weekend and use them to commute to work.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Re: new, just bought kid, looks like motor dont fit!

i beleive your kit should have came with an adapter for the oversized tubes. check with dax and i am sure he will take care of you. welcome to the forum and glad to have you with us
:ride2:

Juls

May 10, 2008
Re: new, just bought kid, looks like motor dont fit!

Thanks, we called him and sure enough, there was one included!

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here. Lots of motorize bicycle enthusiasts here. Glad you got it all figured out. Post some pics of your bikes. Hybrids? Are they electric and gas both? Sounds like a cool idea..................

Juls

May 10, 2008
No sorry, hybrid I meant one of those bikes that is not truly a mountain bike, but has the fat tires like one.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
they also make a cross bike. not sure what called but it is in between a mountain bike and street bike. pretty nice ride and would make an awesome motorized bicycle

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A "comfort bike"? I am not up on all the modern terminology....my boss yelled at me because I called his 800 dollar road bike a "10 speed".

He said "You obviously don't know ANYTHING about bikes." (yes, he's a leg shaver/spandex elitist who rides a couple dozen miles a year)

Anyhow, once you fit a bicycle motor to a bike, it becomes a motorized bicycle...and I do know a thing or two about those.;)

Last edited:

Juls

May 10, 2008
A "comfort bike"? I am not up on all the modern terminology....my boss yelled at me because I called his 800 dollar road bike a "10 speed".

He said "You obviously don't know ANYTHING about bikes." (yes, he's a leg shaver/spandex elitist who rides a couple dozen miles a year)

Anyhow, once you fit a bicycle motor to a bike, it becomes a motorized bicycle...and I do know a thing or two about those.;)
Good! Because we haven't got it put together yet and I am sure we will be needing more help!

Juls

May 10, 2008
Now we are having a problem, when we mount the engine, the muffler doesn't quite clear the pedal. We can't tilt the motor enough to get the clearance. because it is a tight fit. We are thinking of banging the muffler in a bit.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had the same problem with mine so i took the pedal off and used a pipe and put that on the crank and bent it out just enough so i the pedals would clear the exhaust

Juls

May 10, 2008
Thanks we might try something like that. We are having the argument of dent the muffler in a bit or try to knock the pedal out a bit. I vote for knock the pedal out a bit!

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
I tried denting my pipe, too. There's some kind of structure underneath, so it only dented a few millimeters. Not enough. I had to heat and bend the pipe. Bending the cranks also sounds like a good idea.