Honda GX35 Information Thread

GoldenMotor.com

UP Rider

Jun 29, 2014
Upper Peninsula MI
Grenaded: as in the timing gear cracked, exploded and poked a hole in the top cover. About 60 bucks to get new parts but what about the lower end ? The timing gear is made of some kind of plastic so running a magnet thru the crankcase won't do any good. Anyway, I opted for a new unit. Still wondering about the 30 plus claims from some with a 35 cc of any make or model.

usflg

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
You could have simply gotten another timing gear. GEBE has them for order. You can't get them easily anywhere else because the shafts on the a Honda engines that GEBE uses are threaded. Only GEBE has the threaded timing gears in stock. Funny about that.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Hello

I have my 2nd 35 GX and all is well after about 400 miles. Grenaded my first after about 1400. For a $260 replacement its still cheaper than a car.

I've seen claims of 30 plus with these little beasties and I have only clocked out at 24 on a flat.

A thought, swap out the 1 inch drive roller to a 1.34, the largest that Stanton offers ?

I realize that I will lose climbing ability but hey, my " Gofast " devil has been revived. Partially anyways.
I bumped up from a GX35 to a Tanaka 40. It could handle the larger drive roller but I don't think it is easy to swap out drive rollers on a staton fritcion drive.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Okay, my little GX35 was laid up for a while while I was busy an juggling other things. I finally got her hooked back up, little engine ran GREAT until the famous Hawaii Monsoon season hit. So I have some rain advice

A cap full of Seafoam or Heat in the gas tank does wonders. If the engine gets wet enough that she bogs and dies at WOT get home. Run out the wet crappy gas then refill your tank an add a splash of Seafoam or Heat. If this happens repeatedly check all filters and repeat the above process. This has helped keep my engine running in ****ty weather.

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Thanks for the tip.

By the way, did you ever get your Golden Eagle kit to work on your bike? I remember you were having a terrific fight on you hands trying to get the belt aligned.

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
Thanks for the tip.

By the way, did you ever get your Golden Eagle kit to work on your bike? I remember you were having a terrific fight on you hands trying to get the belt aligned.
Yeah I gave up on the belt. I hooked her up to a mini pocket bike transmission, flipped the whole set up around, jiggered with the bikes gearing and she's chain drive now. I have it set up so that the 49 sooth sprocket from my old 2 stroke kit is behind the bike gears. It took a lot of mucking about but I got her working. I'll be honest the 415H chain has a tension problem that I'm still working on. If it gets too lose it pops off the 49 tooth sprocket, I think the tensioner just needs to go on the other side. Good thing I have the heavy duty wheel!

Tom Allen

Aug 20, 2013
Chicago
Yeah I gave up on the belt. I hooked her up to a mini pocket bike transmission, flipped the whole set up around, jiggered with the bikes gearing and she's chain drive now. I have it set up so that the 49 sooth sprocket from my old 2 stroke kit is behind the bike gears. It took a lot of mucking about but I got her working. I'll be honest the 415H chain has a tension problem that I'm still working on. If it gets too lose it pops off the 49 tooth sprocket, I think the tensioner just needs to go on the other side. Good thing I have the heavy duty wheel!
Well, as my grandmother used to say, "Always something!"

With the belt system there can be tension problems too--I have found that out. But, on the whole, I can't complain too much about the standard set up. I have not used the bike enough to wear out a belt, so I can't say much about belt longevity. We shall see.

Anyway, thumbs up for getting her moving!