Where folks buying clutch pucks?

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
So I got the cheap pucks. Don't bother. They slip worse than the old ones, and they really aren't any thicker. Same fiber/string imbedded hard rubber. But really the worst part? The shape isn't really a trapezoid and they don't really fit worth a hoot. Really TIGHT........and therein proves something very valuable.....if the clutch pressure cannot squeeeeeze the puck on BOTH sides, it will slip if you have a high compression engine. And the puck MUST move in the trapezoidal hole of the "flywheel" gear to allow clamping force to get friction bite on both sides. Not many people understand this about the HT clutch.

I will manually form the pucks today, just because I want to ride my bike!! .shft.

sharkcruiser

Jul 14, 2008
charleston sc
I was wondering if they were worth it. Sorry to hear about the fine tuning aspect but good to know. Would like to hear if they perform any better after your tailoring.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yay - dialed in!!!

Yes the pucks perform WAY better after shaping. In fact - I highly advise anyone with tight pucks to make them looser. Simply remove the pucks and using a file or 80 grit paper sand each edge and the corners so the pucks are fairly loose in the holes. They just need to float loosely in the hole. Even I was amazed. My clutch still grabs a tiny bit when hot, but it's much better.

My bike has a fairly high compression ratio (and lots of power now) - but starting it takes some serious leg power, and the clutch has to be set "tight" or it will just slip. No slip under full power. Very cool.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Yes,

I check this on all of my motors too.

Some come out of the box right; with friction material floating in the gear as it should. Others have poorly formed pucks that are stuffed into the holes.

If the pucks don't float you end up with 1/2 of the contact area, or half a clutch.

Jim

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I didn't know about the floating clutch thing.... will check mine.
either way, I still can't wait for an upgrade. I eventually plan on going with a slant head, higher compression, etc, and an upgraded clutch will be necessary

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Cool! I can't wait!
I should probably figure out how to replace the clutch on the bike... I assume since I took the engine out of my subaru, replaced the clutch, put it back in, and have it all still work, I should be able to do it on the bike...

fritznbud

Aug 13, 2010
Westminster, SC
I'd love to buy some if CE has made them yet. No one sells round ones but boygofast and i dont do paypal. Fairacing, i made mine from tire sidewall but the rubber is too soft. I picked clumps out of the gears inside after 30 miles but i does work, doubt if it lasts long unless i wear down to a better surface.

Last edited: