Tomos/AMF Roadmaster

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
As always love your work, and appreciate the many photos for others to learn and get ideas from. Keep up the good work guys. Looks like you guys are having a ball, makes me wanna join you guys in the fun

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks, Harry.
It is fun having somebody else to work with for a change. Most of the time we builders are off by ourselves making sparks or turning wrenches and have to turn to this forum to talk to somebody who understands and appreciates what we're up to. Nice at the end of day to take a swim in the lake, clean up with a bar of soap and stand at the end of the dock cooling off in chest deep water with a can of Lost Lake Beer and talking about the builds or whatever.

It's also nice having multiple things going on and looking over each other's shoulders now and then to offer a suggestion. Steve has a lot of accumulated knowledge about things mechanical, tools, processes. I guess I have some, too, but in different areas.

When you get burned out doing one thing then you set it down and fiddle with something else bike related. I've been turning an old boat trailer without a title into a bike hauler I can roll the Indian with the sidecar onto and even an extra bike. The bed tilts with a release catch. I cut off the tongue by several feet and bolted on a new ball hitch from Harbor Freight which cost $9.00, so that's what I have invested in it so far.

We also make a dump run a couple times a week. Steve looks for welding materials and has come up with most of what we've needed for the sidecar frames that way. We both look over the metal pile scanning for things with wheels, especially spoked wheels.

I found a pit bike the other day with a 125CC three speed engine on it. It has compression, but no carb. No idea what I'll do with it, but the price was right. Yesterday I brought home a paddle boat I will play with next summer. I've always wondered what one of those would be like with an electric trolling motor on it. Might be fun for a little fishing in the evening with the dog in the passenger seat. So next summer I'll find out. When I have my pontoon boat to live on I can use the little paddle boat to go ashore and leave the big boat anchored.

So a shopping trip to the dump, which I think of as the poor man's Mall Of America, is always an interesting crap shoot. I gain entry with dead bike parts, so pay nothing, and usually leave with new bike finds to scavenge. That's how I found my 1950 Schwinn Panther a few years ago and many other bikes which have contributed this and that to builds. A Schwinn Corvette find yielded the curved down tubes on my Indian and Steve's, so that was a valuable find, (may it rest in peace). The handlebars on my Orphan build came from a kid's BMX bike from the dump. Found a complete Bikebug motor last summer which I just sold on Ebay.

There is even a famous bit of classical dump music called the William Tell Overture (also made famous as the theme song for The Lone Ranger), which goes like this... " ta da dump ta da dump ta da dump dump dump..." and so forth. You may recognize the trash picker's theme song. Ha!

Yeah, building bikes with a friend is a good thing, like getting together with other builders for a group ride. It would be great to be able to walk over and see what Harry was up to. Take a break with a cold beer and stare at each other's work, offering up praise and suggestions. I'd like that, Bud.
SB

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Nice scores SB, it never ceases to amaze me at what some people throw out, do they not care, have way too much money or have they never heard of a thing called EBay? LOL

I guess its their loss and our gain, if only most people knew the feeling of taking junk, something that would otherwise end up in landfill that no-one wants, and have a vision of what to do with it, and turning that junk into your vision. Very very self satisfying. And you guys do it as well as anyone on here. I have far more respect and admiration for that then someone who has deep pockets and the latest do-das. Keep the pics coming guys :)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Finished up the gas tank which turned out well. I think I'm going to paint the part of the tank which is under the actual gas tank and is all of the stuff attaching it to the frame... paint it black so that part blends into the frame and the tank itself 'floats' visually by itself. No other progress on the Orphan other than some things moving along on other projects which will bump the Orphan up closer to getting the engine hanger welded to the frame.

We've been pushing hard. Both Indian frames are done. Engine mounts are done. Pedal crank is bent and installed on my Indian Hiawatha. Today we will fit up the sidecar frame to the Hiawatha. Steve's been making a barbecue smoker from dump materials to take back to BC with him in a couple of weeks. He wants to make up a second sidecar frame, but I don't know if there will be time for that. He's a hard worker for an old guy, putting in long days welding, grinding, fitting.

Regarding the Columbia and Solo engine. Still looks like a go, hopefully over Labor Day weekend.

Also building a boat trailer into a bike hauling tilt bed trailer so I can take projects east with me this fall. Tongue is shortened, boat hardware gone. Now needs new deck, check the wheel bearings for grease and rig up lights. Tie downs and see what I can fit on it. The Indian and canoe sidecar will get loaded along with the Orphan. Maybe the Columbia. Maybe a finished bike to sell. Welder goes east with me and I will teach myself some basics over the winter. Tired.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
We've made a lot of progress and now have both Indian frames done, the Wanderer frame done for Steve, the sidecar frame for my Indian Hiawatha is finished, my bike hauling trailer (pictured) pretty well finished up and ready to haul the Indian and sidecar, as well as the Tomos AMF Roadmaster ("Orphan") east with me in a few weeks. Steve will head back to Vancouver in a week. We're both pretty weary with all of the work we've done, but much has been accomplished and it has been a productive summer.

The last major thing to do is to weld the Tomos engine hanger to the AMF Roadmaster frame. The new bike trailer made a nice work height, flat surface to put the moped on. Straps hold it to tie downs on the trailer and Steve used a level to get the frame lined up so the engine will hang true. Tomorrow the welding will come and will be a major accomplishment. Then as time permits I'll start hooking up controls, lights, drive chain and all of the little things that make it go vrooom.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Elsewhere on this thread I've mentioned that the bike building phase of my life is coming to either an end or at least less activity and that next summer I want to build a pontoon "cabin" boat (as opposed to houseboat). Things are coming together in between all of the bike activity.
My brother had bought the pontoon boat pictured last summer, got it home and discovered the 40 hsp Merc needed to have the carb rebuilt. Then over the winter snow crushed the boat canopy. He was standing on the deck this summer to survey the damage and work ahead, leaned against the steering wheel support and it fell over...and saw the wood was in terrible shape...realized the deck was soft in spots and would need to be replaced next summer... sigh.

Sounds like my kind of boat! Just the kind of wreck I was looking for! So I offered to either buy it or swap it for my 14' Lund fishing boat with an old but good running ten horse Johnson on it. Glad to get out from under all that work, he agreed to the swap. So next summer I will strip the deck and replace it with 3/4" marine plywood, build a smallish (8x8 or 8x10 cabin on it with cedar shakes on the exterior walls, stained glass window panels inside, a petit godin wood stove to heat it and two bunks. Motor will be an old 2 stroke with the engine removed and a 6 horse harbor freight vertical shaft air cooled 4 stroke atop, connected to the lower unit with a coupling. I bought the Predator motor at Harbor Freight the other day ($99.00) and now will be on the lookout for a long shaft 10-20 horse Merc as a lower unit donor. Anybody have one? (Merc, so I can use the controls already on the boat.) Access to the motor will be from a panel at the rear of the cabin. In front of the cabin open deck and on an extension of the deck at the bow will be the mast for a Grumman Sail Canoe rig, which is leaning up against the front of the pontoon boat in the photo. Gonna be a fun boat to go on area lakes with for a week or more at a time. Enough room for the dog and an old man.Fish, sail around some, sleep under the stars. Ahhhh... life is good.

As luck would have it, since I no longer have a 14 foot fishing boat, Steve and I found one shopping at the dump. Found two, actually. One a total wreck and the other in pretty nice shape which we loaded onto the top of the Jeep and brought home. From the other one we salvaged the cast bow piece and two oarlocks. (The oars were mine.) The middle seat will get removed and moved forward one position to open up a space which is just right for the Orphan moped to sit. When I leave the boat to go to town I can take the smaller boat, leaving the cabin boat at anchor. Once ashore I lock the boat to a dock or tree, remove the moped and folding kiddie trailer and I'm off to town for fooling around and picking up supplies. Small boat will be tethered to the cabin boat when not in use. Interesting how things work out sometimes.

I need to get these bike projects finished up this winter so that next summer I'm building me cabin boat! Steve is all fired up about having one in Vancouver and Ron in Florida (Neat Times) has been building a 28 footer to bring up to Wisconsin next summer. The Huck Finn boys. Maybe later we can start a cabin boat thread here on the forum to share photos and ideas on how not to grow up. Ha!
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
We made good progress on the Orphan today. Photos tell the story... the engine is now in place and is rock solid. Carb sits level.
Next up is to clean up the engine and weld areas and finish off in black paint.
Then set it aside to give attention to the Indian Hiawata strip and paint. While paint is drying between coats I'm going to re-lace the front wheel with a different moped hub that has a longer axle. I'm having no luck finding a long enough axle for the one I have sitting in the Suzuki fork right now, so will see if the original AMF rear wheel hub will fit in the fork. Looks like it will, so I'll take the wheel apart again and lace it up again. Just time and labor, no money involved. Then hook up the engine drive chain, gas line, oil line and make up an oil reservoir. Tidy up wires... Clean the carb and fire it up. Even then I won't be able to run it anywhere until I buy tires and tubes... later.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you Mannhouse 51,
Yeah, this project is coming out much better than I ever expected. I never imagined it would look this good or become what I'm thinking will be a very practical ride. It has come a long way from the neglected bike I found in the snow early last winter. I just went back to the first photos of this thread and it is a pretty amazing transformation.

I'm also very pleased with the low cost of this build and what I consider to be a high return. A major activity this winter will be figuring out how to get a title for it. I'd like for it to be capable of being licensed wherever that might be required. You never know. I could even ride this legally in Canada with papers. And it is no fibbing, either, being a 50CC engine.

I also like that it will have a decent 12 volt electrical system with headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals and horn. The two speed automatic transmission is a real plus and should make it scoot in low gear and give good top end cruising without punishing the engine.

I also feel good about the availability of used parts, NOS parts and upgrade parts. There is an upgrade kit out there which boosts the engine to 80 CCs, which I imagine would make for a little powerhouse combined with the 2 speeds. If I run across another A35 engine I'll set it aside for a winter rebuild sometime and then will know what that 80 CCs is like.

I'm also considering a convertible setup so that it can become a trike in the event my legs and balance get worse with the nerve disease I have (Guillane Barre Syndrome) which is like polio in its symptoms and could leave me pretty well crippled up if it goes that way. I'd still like to be riding as long as I can, maybe another twenty years if I'm lucky and have a stable ride easy to mount. So this little Orphan may turn out to be a sound investment of time and money in the long run.

There is a great satisfaction in salvaging something nobody else wants, seeing possibilities in saving it from the crusher and making it into something useful... and then to discover it wants to become something much better than ever envisioned. Now that is fun!

Last evening after supper, Steve and I were admiring the bike and he said, "That's the bike AMF could and should have built." And it would have been something worthy of Harley Davidson selling, too, in my opinion. Maybe we'll start seeing more of these old Roadmasters getting saved and built into neat bikes. I think the frame is a winner. And the shape of the Tomos engine looks right with the frame. I know that I'm generally not real fond of the look of most mopeds, but I sure do like this one. My little Orphan has been adopted and now has a home.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
First thing this morning I made a little oil reservoir tank for the automatic oiler. The original one which came on the Tomos moped was a plastic square shaped tank which fit inside the seat.

That tank would not fit anywhere on the Orphan so I turned to an old friend of mine, the tin can for an answer. I had a cap from a fuel oil can (courtesy of the dump) which is the kind that has two caps in one... the smaller one screwing into the larger one which in turn screws onto the fuel can.

I used a leather punch (like an ice pick) to punch a circle of holes (of smaller diameter than the cap to create a lip to solder to) in the end of a soup can, connected the dots with a knife and ball peen hammer, tapping along the circle to cut out the opening. Then I ate the can of tomato soup.
Ummmm.

I cleaned up the cap and end of the can with a wire wheel and soldered the cap onto the can using a propane torch. The I removed the outlet fitting from the tomos plastic reservoir and drilled a hole of the same size in the bottom of the can, connected it up with the same fittings and now have the oiler. I also poked a wee little hole in the cap for a vent, using the leather punch from the inside of the cap which makes the vent hole cone shaped facing up instead of down if I punched from the outside inwards creating a depression in the cap and more likely to allow rain water inside the oil reservoir. Make sens?... I may not have stated that clearly.

Last photo shows the original Tomos tail and brake light which I will mount to a 24" rear fender. Planning ahead on what to take east with me.

Time now to do some paint repair.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Waste not...want not.

Got the weld area painted and the new oiler, too. Fenders are the ones I'll use, I imagine, since they are the best 24 inchers I have. The rear one got shortened up some, but I'm going to cut some more and roll the fender forward more.

The Biturbo tuned exhaust is bolted up and looks good, I think. That's about it for the Orphan until I am on the east coast and buy some tires. Still have to lace a different hub up front.

Attention returns to the Indian Hiawatha now. The bike trailer is cleared and ready to go on an adventure tomorrow. I had put an ad in the local shopper wanting an old moped and one of the well off summer cabin owners gave a call. He apologized that these weren't really mopeds. One is a 1960's Honda 55 which he says was overhauled a few years ago and the other is a Suzuki 100 from the 80's he thinks. He says there's something wrong with the head on that one, doesn't know what. (Head gasket, I hope.) He's cleaning up and is letting me have them both for $30.00. Can't very well lose on this deal and may win big. The Honda is a three speed and the Suzuki is four speed and both are kick start. I believe the Honda has pedals, but not sure. So tomorrow is an adventure!
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
FarRider,
Thank you, sir. I've been so involved with the Indian Hiawatha project that I haven't been thinking much about the Orphan (poor orphan, neglected again), but once the Indian is together and running the Orphan will get some attention. I'd like to have it on the road this spring or early summer. It may end up becoming a three wheeler later on after I see how it is on two wheels. With that front fork it should handle fairly well with three wheels. On the other hand a sidecar would be nice, too.
SB

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Wonderful tale, SB !
and the pics are great, too.

Glad ur havin fun creating something nice from salvaged goods.

I enjoyed reading this chapter very much.
rc

I gathered 3 vertical shaft briggs mowers this last week. Must figger how to convert them to horizontal use...
Is it even possible to do that with a vertical shaft motor?

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
FarRider,
Thank you, sir. I've been so involved with the Indian Hiawatha project that I haven't been thinking much about the Orphan (poor orphan, neglected again), but once the Indian is together and running the Orphan will get some attention. I'd like to have it on the road this spring or early summer. It may end up becoming a three wheeler later on after I see how it is on two wheels. With that front fork it should handle fairly well with three wheels. On the other hand a sidecar would be nice, too.
SB
Hey SB,
Cool build and thanks for stopping by my AMF build. Maybe after seeing mine in the works you will get back to yours.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=499631#post499631

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i just picked up a beat up 1977 tomos with the 2 speed automatic. engine runs great but the rest of the bike is missing a bunch of stuff like lights, all the wirings messed up, repainted with a brush and brown housepaint...

in other words, it's the perfect moped to butcher.

mine doesn't have the oiler, you have to pre-mix the fuel. but with yours, you can block the mixer off completely and use pre-mix.

mine also has a kick-back starter, meaning you just jam backwards on the pedals to kick it over.

i've got plans to chop up a bike frame and put the tomos engine in it, using the pedals on the engine instead of bike cranks.

probably make a track bike out of it for the races. like you noticed, theres tons of go fast parts for the.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Draco, there's a whole bunch of youtube vids on how to convert a verical shaft to horizontal... I just ran a search for 'convert briggs to horizontal' and got many returns there...

Definitely do-able !
:)
rc