Not sure if it's a problem:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I finally got the bike running, after quite a bit of tinkering with the carb, and I'll be posting pics of the finished bike in a bit. But first I have something that's a problem, and something that might be.
-The Problem: I seem to be leaking a tiny amount of gas between the petcock and the tank. I'm using that little red gasket, and I've tightened the petcock as far as I'd dare. I'd rather have no leak at all. Does anybody know if that is wishful thinking.
-The Strange Situation: I can't really start the bike with the choke on full (lever up) or even half. She'll start fine with the choke wide open. I can't tell if the idle is set too high (or just plain wrong). It's a 66cc from Dax. (Thank you Dax, by the way, great stuff!) She seems way to anxious to take off and go, but I'm still trying to exercise restraint because I'm still in the break-in period so I've kept her at 15 mph and under, but she still shakes quite a bit when not accelerating. Any ideas?

Brent436

Feb 14, 2010
Massachusetts
i would try lowering your idle. i dont know if thats why it wont start with choke or not but its worth a shot. if your not starting it in cold weather you shouldnt need the choke that much. also check carb needle height (recommended set at 2nd notch from the top) and spark plug gap. its not much, but i hope it helps. good luck

jmr3394

Apr 5, 2010
U.S.A.
my bike acts the same way. Ill just start her up with the choke open and when shes running ill push it up to where ever id like. I actually used to have the same leak problem you have but for some reason it has seemed to stop. kinda weird because i didnt change anything.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thanks for all the re-assurance folks. I'd been giving both matters some thought and finally figured that, being a two-stroke in warmer weather (for Spring), I suppose there isn't any reason it shouldn't start fine even with the choke wide open. And thanks for the teflon tape idea. I used to do plumbing once for a landlord friend (as well as electrical, gas pipes, drywall repair, door shimming, glazing, etc.). I'm surprised I didn't remember the teflon tape sooner. So, thanks for the reminder. It should work.
-That little engine with the 38t rear sprocket is very anxious to move. When break-in is done and she smoothes out some more I should see a fairly decent cruise speed without revving too godawful high. (Of course, I did smooth out the ports, custom trimmed some gaskets, etc.)