Chain tensioner of death

GoldenMotor.com

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
The tensioner bracket is without a doubt the biggest problem most people face with a new build. It can't be stressed enough that proper alignemnt is critical to the tensioner working as it was designed to do. Every one I've encountered required a slight twist to get the centerline of the wheel to line up with the chain. The bike chainstays are not parallel with the chains so mounting the tensioner bracket without twisting it will assure misalignment and eventual failure. Looking from the left side of the rear wheel forward, sight along the chain and look for the angle that needs to be corrected to get the tensioner wheel to align with the chain. Clamp the tensioner bracket in a bench vise and give it the necessary twist before re-installing it. The self tapping screws seem to work for some but I elect to drill completely through the bracket and chainstay and install a grade 8 10/32 Allen head cap screw with a lock nut on the wheel side. You need to make sure the alignmewnt is right before drilling however. In addition the tensioner wheel must spin freely. Hope this sheds some light on your problem. If you elect to weld the bracket or fabricate your own here's an idea.
Tom
Tom correct me if I am wrong, that tensioner bracket looks like you could make one out of an old genny or alternator adjustment bracket from a salvage yard.
Elmo

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom correct me if I am wrong, that tensioner bracket looks like you could make one out of an old genny or alternator adjustment bracket from a salvage yard.
Elmo
Elmo,
I used 3/16" flat stock, machined the adjusting slot in it on a mill then heat to give it that swoopy curvy look. You're right, it does look like a gen/alt bracket and I'll bet one would be adaptable to use as a tensioner wheel bracket. Let me know if you try that. I'll bet the junk yards are full of them. Also, the adjuster from any number of engine driven accessories should work such as a power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, etc. Older cars, ones without the surpintine belts would probably be a better source.
Tom

darrick

Nov 14, 2009
South Texas
I'm just going to use the stock, and drill 2 holes through my frame and the tensioner and add a couple more bolts.
Thats what Im scared of
removing a piece of load-bearing frame seems kinda unsafe, since the frame I use is an old brand-less cruiser I got from craigslist..

Xiodinc

Oct 15, 2009
San Jose CA
Just two small holes, I don't think anything would happen. The bolts would act as if nothing even happened because it would fill up the hole

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The ultimate chain tensioner could be made easily enough in a shop (thick horizontal track-style dropouts with integrated screws for tensioners, made from steel plate and welded in place of the original dropouts. Problem is, most of us don't have a shop, or welding equipment.

Here in TX, welders and mechanics either won't touch these bikes or act like its such an inconvenience to them, they want obscene amounts of money.

If you want something done right, you must do it yourself, hence this website.