Road Rage in Indy:

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
One of the problems that I and some of my two-wheel friends are encountering, and starting to see more clearly, is that a lot of motorists actually DO NOT know that most 50cc mopeds, scooters, and motorized bikes are not capable of going much above 25 mph.
One of the other problems that has occurred with increasing frequency is that some, even if they did know, wouldn't care. They believe that roads are for cars or trucks or vans, and the rest of us can go hang. We're slowing them down. They feel justified in sideswiping us into a ditch, when they're feeling polite. And sometimes, one of these freaks decides that it's okay to beat the crap out of us. Watch your backs out there, please. Especially in Indy. The poster tells the tale:

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Addendum: this is my neighborhood, and I know it well. Some of the parts on my motorbike were purchased in the ACE hardware store mentioned above. The victim with the moped lives in my mobile-home park. He was going as fast as the Chinese thing could go. I think it's all he can afford right now. Where he was assaulted is right by the ACE hardware, so the offender had pretty much reached his destination. And on that street, there IS room to pass. I thought it important to add some points that the wanted poster would be too brief to cover.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
There're always two sides to an altercation; but my ability to judge a book by its cover has improved exponetionally as I grow older and wiser; that perp looks like your typical ******bag; hope he gets his comeuppance forthwith.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've used the term "Scheisskopf" before. It's not nice.

Road rage itself is a fairly common problem. But I am conscious of the fact that, on a bike, I am much more exposed. Not just to physical violence, but also vehicular violence. And the accident in 2010 taught me just how dangerous that could really become.

If you don't have mirrors, I recommend them. If you pull over to let a civilian car pass, and he stops behind you, take off! Then look for someplace he can't follow you. Watch your back. Ride like you're invisible. Consider helmets and protection. Keep looking for ways to stay safe.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I bought this rear view mirror that my bro said that if I put that on my bike he can't be seen with me!
Anyway, it looks nice and even though I still look back before I veer left it helps me to get a good idea what is going on behind me.

Get a rearview mirror! A rearview mirror will be the 2nd most used part of your bike, the throttle being #1.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Wear a fullface and carry a roll of coins lol! The best way to avoid problems with cars is to ride on the side and use your mirrors, I still get surprised once in a while on my bmx which doesn't have them and would like to velcro a mirror to my glove.I just let everyone go, the problem with that is that they wanna sit and watch you take off so it makes things frustrating sometimes.

Last edited:

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I've used the term "Scheisskopf" before. It's not nice.
Sehr gute mienen frund.
We have run into a few cases of road rage that has turned into physical altercations. One of my customers carries an ole school black jack on a wallet chain. He has smashed 2 windsheilds and a driver that was stupid enough to follow him into the gas station, this year alone. I wouldnt consider this the BEST way to deal with such things, however, I do believe he gets his point across

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Blackjack? I wouldn't recommend it, as it might be considered a dangerous weapon. A small tool pouch full of sockets on a leather strap might be enough. Instead of brass, an innocent roll of coins as mentioned earlier can be used.

Please know your routes. At certain places, impatient drivers are more apt to "steer" you off the road. On my commute, I hop onto the sidewalk until it's safe to get back on the road.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Blackjack? I wouldn't recommend it, as it might be considered a dangerous weapon.
Black jacks are considered a weapon here, that is until you loop a key ring into it then they are legal. A side topic congrats to the state of Indiana: We made switchblades LEGAL again.