Where do you spend most of your time on your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

How do you spend your time on your Motorized bicycle?

• Total voters

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
How do you spend most of your time on your motorized bicycle?

So how do you spend most of your time on your motorized bicycle? riding it or fixing, tweaking it?

For me, I guess I spend about 7.5 hours a week riding it and about 16 hours fixing and tweaking it. Is it just me?

I guess this motorized bicycle thingy is more of a hobby than a transport after all, and very demanding. You gotta have enough cash to do the upgrades, and parts, and all...

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I have a bit over 4 thousand miles on my Titan engine alone in not even a years time so I ride on a daily basis and far away from home. I also have over 3 thousand miles on my china 2 stroke and it's just waiting for me to rebuild her. I guess I haven't done it for I ride my Titan kit like there's no tomorrow.
I do have my fair share of tinkering but it's mostly lately getting gears on this Titan kit with very low outlay. And it looks like I'm gonna accomplish this task with just a different jackshaft sprocket,the only mod I need to make to this kit to allow a 3 speed wheel up front and a different chain to accept the different sprocket that the Titan sprocket on the engine side takes rather well.
I'm so close to being there just waiting for that 3 dollar shifter cable from e bay. The sprocket I can get tomorrow.
My bikes give me hope and an awesome reason for living!!!
When I break down how much I will and have spent on this 3 speed mod it boils down to 17 dollars for the 20 tooth jackshaft sprocket,25 dollars for 10 feet of #40 chain at Lowes I only needed a few links,the three speed wheel I laced up was all love and since it was just laying around that's free and maybe 10 bucks more from all those ace/Lowes visits for bits of hardware and to look cool pulling up you gotta look cool.
So all in all...52 dollars woah.
Oh and 3 dollars for the shifter cable and may get a fancy frame shifter as well.
And no one seems to have a 20 tooth wheel sprocket to replace the 18 tooth on that wheel. Go figure. These were all over the place back in the day. Maybe I'll luck out and find me a 2 dollar kiddie bike with the sprocket I need at a thrift store.

But I have a #40 chain necklace now! I'm gonna look so fly.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I spend most of my time fixing, upgrading, changing engines and drivelines. I'm always in search for.....More Power...performance and dependability. ^5

I don't mind it one bit.(^)

My latest combination, twin Mitsubishi engines is the ultimate. I just need to experiment with gear and friction roller combinations.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I generally build one, ride it and tweak it into shape, then just ride.
Clean the filter once in awhile, and lube the moving bits now and then.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Generally, I spend most of my time riding.

Since I trashed the last motor though, all my time has been tinkering. Finishing up a new paint job right now, going to regrease all bearings (bb, headset, wheels) then put her back together with new brakes, cables, etc.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
<snip>
And no one seems to have a 20 tooth wheel sprocket to replace the 18 tooth on that wheel. Go figure. These were all over the place back in the day. Maybe I'll luck out and find me a 2 dollar kiddie bike with the sprocket I need at a thrift store.

But I have a #40 chain necklace now! I'm gonna look so fly.
Most cheap box store 26" cruisers have a 19T wheel sprocket. That's one more tooth at least. Half way there.

I have a couple of 16" wheels with 16T sprockets. So the bigger the wheel the more teeth on the sprocket. At least for bikes made after ~1980.

I'll check my pile of parts bikes when it stops raining. If I have one you can have it.

Ted

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
i figure if you put it together right , spend lots of time in the beginning replacing all the crap parts ( cough cough intake gasket cough cough) then your ok for the most part.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
(cough cough studs, hardware cough cough rubber donut sprocket cough cough chain, tensioner cough cough plug, wire, cap cough cough kill switch cough cough)!

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
i think we all love just spendin time on our bike. weather it be fixing/ maintaining it or showing it off around the streets. I know i love rideing mine and all the attention u get.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Most cheap box store 26" cruisers have a 19T wheel sprocket. That's one more tooth at least. Half way there.

I have a couple of 16" wheels with 16T sprockets. So the bigger the wheel the more teeth on the sprocket. At least for bikes made after ~1980.

I'll check my pile of parts bikes when it stops raining. If I have one you can have it.

Ted
THANKS TED!! I know they exist. They were on primarily 3 speed hubs and some coaster bikes. I'll chime in if I run into one. I used to throw them away when I converted the coasters into free wheel and looked for 14 tooth sprockets to replace them.

Last edited:

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I was new to all this 2 months ago after a whim as what to do with my old bicycle. I'm still tinkering with it and keep it my warehouse near work. I ride it about a mile to work. Traffic is hard to negotiate around here.
I want to take longer rides and maybe some, 15 miles to and from home.
I found it too small to carry groceries. I chase parts for work with it.
It's so fun to ride if only there wasn't so much fast traffic here.

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
My dirty old rat bike has a 2 stroke kit from Dax. I have probably 1500 miles on it and went through a tensioner, a clutch cable and a gasket or two. But it keeps on going strong.

My beach cruiser had some minor problems too, but generally, I ride it to work 8 miles pretty much every day.

Every few wekks it seems like I need a couple of hours for something. And an occasional 10 minute fix.

So far I am not rushing to restore my 67 bug.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I think these bikes would be very frustrating to someone who did not have basic mechnical skills and was not lucky enough to find this forum. The bicycles themselves must be beefed up to take the strain. That is if you got the right bicycle for your application. Durring the break in peroid ( wheel bearings gave out, clutch slipped, lost spark, fuel line cracked, intake gasket sucked air, exhaust gasket blew, fenders cracked and brackets broke, motor mounts had to be redone, and a million things vibrated off or broke.) I could see someone getting frustrated. I had so much help here, because someone has been thru the same thing and had a answer most of the time. Now I feel I am over the hump, because I do more riding then tinkering. I ride to work and go for 10 to 20 mile rides just for fun. This is more a hobbie then it is just basic transportation. I would much rather be riding my bike then almost anything else:)

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
I am going to be riding mine to work once the weather permits. I take it out every day up and down the street though. Still in the break-in stage

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I spend most of the time riding @ the beach still...
Thanksgiving was two days ago & the weather is still nice enough to go riding!

Every time I finish a customers bike, I take it for 10-15 mile ride @ the beach. (I love showing off the new bikes to the locals!)

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I seem to spend more time tweaking and fixing than I do riding, but I bought a cheap bike and engine kit and now I am paying the price. I imagine once I get the bike tuned in and replace a lot of the marginal parts I will reverse this trend (I hope!)