Carburetor Slide Needle

GoldenMotor.com

2Stroke Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
Long Beach CA
Does anyone know where i can get a 5 notch needle of a NT carburetor or a rebuild kit that comes with one?
After break-in period using a 1:16 mix I switched to a 1:24mix. My engine started four stroking and my plug was dripping wet and black. Less oil, more gas, go figure. So i leaned out the air/fuel mixture by moving the C clip to the top notch on my stock needle(4 notch). I saw a vast improvement but was still running a bit rich so im hoping to lean it out a bit more with a new needle and not have to mess with the jet.

Attachments

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Here is what i do when that happens;

Solder a piece of copper or 2mm brass washer flush with the end of the needle.

OR...

Skim 1 or 2 mm off the bottom of the slide, being carefull to keep the cutaway profile the same. (not reversable)

OR...

A smaller jet can be simulated temporally by passing a single strand of 0.2mm or 0.15 copper wire through the jet, then onto its threads to secure it in place. This arrangement will clog easily, so its not permanent, just a trial and error method.

Any old wall transfomer, usb or printer cable will have these fine wires. don't try mains able, too thick. Best to measure it with a vernier.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can buy a smaller jet. A needle with an extra notch is a crapshoot at best.
Alternately you can solder the jet closed and re-drill it with a #70-72 drill.

2Stroke Maniac

Feb 11, 2010
Long Beach CA
Well it looks like the consensus is to change the jet size. I think ill go with Dellorto, they have quite a rage of jets. Thanks for all the help guys.

Afterthough: That PHGB 16mm is looking pritty nice but ill hold off till ive port-timed my engine and installed an expansion chamber.

.bld.

Radfletcher

Feb 23, 2010
Portland, oregon
all I need to know in regard to this re-jetting issue is this: the new-style carb that has its own shut off valve, is it practical to really attempt to solder it shut since the jet is intact w/ the siphon tube? I mean, I was able to re-jet it anyway, but man I tell you it was tricky. I feel like pictorials I saw in whatever thread it was made it look as if the typical jet was a removable unit, separate from the siphon tube. no?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
all I need to know in regard to this re-jetting issue is this: the new-style carb that has its own shut off valve, is it practical to really attempt to solder it shut since the jet is intact w/ the siphon tube? I mean, I was able to re-jet it anyway, but man I tell you it was tricky. I feel like pictorials I saw in whatever thread it was made it look as if the typical jet was a removable unit, separate from the siphon tube. no?

Hang on what did you solder?
The shut off valve opens or closes the fuel feed into the carby you dont want to solder this up, the jet and the jet tube inside the carb are both removeable, heat the jet dab the solder and drill!

edit and welcome to the forum Rad!

Last edited:

Radfletcher

Feb 23, 2010
Portland, oregon
No, I didn't solder the valve, I soldered the jet then I re-drilled that. In mentioning the fuel valve, it was just to specify the type of carb I have. My question was more to determine if this 'one piece' jet/siphon tube is typical or not. but I wonder if it matters really. just lookin for feedback from anyone who's re-jetted one like this.

Hi, thanks it's swell to be here. cheers!

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Does anyone know where i can get a 5 notch needle of a NT carburetor or a rebuild kit that comes with one?
Why not put a tiny washer under the clip to raise it up a tad? I know guys have been doing that for years on motorcycles. You can get various thicknesses and for cheap at the local hardware store.