Motor controllers

GoldenMotor.com

sseisup

Feb 18, 2009
mn
I got a pocket chopper, razor brand, with a bad motor controller. What are you guys using and spending on a "cheap" controller? I adapted the motor and sprocket to run a rear tire but could really use a bigger sprocket, friction drive, or jack shaft but I can figure that out later. Anybody have suggestions on where to get a really big razor gear as long as I'm asking? It's a chain.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
your chain is #25 most likely. You can buy sprockets from TNCscooters.com. There are two id sizes for scooters one is about and inch and has three screw holes, the other is over 2 inches and has four holes. Since I usually weld mine I can do either usually. I would just order the right one, if yours screws on.

The controller depends on what voltage you want to run more than on the motor. Most of the motors will do over voltage. I personally like the TNC controller with the green wire to the motor's black wire. There are two sizes 24v 500watt and 36v 800watt. I run both of mine at 36v. I have also run the 36v at 48v without any damage. I like this controller so well it is the only one I use.

Good luck with your build. get the right size rear sprocket and you won't need a jack shaft. Most of my builds have been with the 10" rear scooter wheel lately. I am going to start an 8" wheel today. I think that is more the izip size scooter wheel. I'll let you know what happens as I go along.

with the 10" wheel, I find the 72 tooth sprocket to work very well. The standard sprocket on the 8" wheel looks to be 44 tooth or so. If it is too fast, the next size larger will probably do.

On the controllers, I have run the cheapest ones I could find from china and they are fine but trust what they say about sizes cause you can't over volt them. The wattage should match your motor and the batteries should match the voltage listed on the controller. You can have a bargain controller that has higher or lower wattage than the motor, but it will not run at the wattage higher than the motor most likely. If it is lower than than that of the motor, it will act like a restricter plate in a carb.

Last edited: