HF 2.5 Friction Drive- A Different Approach

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
There are so many interesting builds on this forum but this one really captured my attention. Thank you for sharing all of your amazing projects Cannonball.
Hugh
Hey and hello Hugh.

I had been looking for a ratio thing found in this thread and forgot where to look. So, very cool and lucky for me ya brought it up. TY.

Reactions: OC_Hugh

OC_Hugh

Jul 18, 2017
NE Washington
Yes I've seen that build. I prefer the look of an in-frame but the bike I'm going to use won't accommodate it.

The build that introduced me to this forum was this one by motormaker.

DSCF0001-4-1.jpg

OC_Hugh

Jul 18, 2017
NE Washington
Cannonball, I want to duplicate your build with the main difference being chain drive instead of belt.
Four years ago I purchased the parts to copy Motormaker's side mount pusher. I ordered a 79cc HF engine, a clutch with an 11 tooth sprocket, #35 chain and connector link. The parts were set aside and nearly forgotten until I got the motorbike bug again. Yesterday I made an interesting discovery. They sent me the wrong clutch, it's actually the 10 tooth #40 version so now I either need to purchase new clutch or new chain and connector. Argh...

OC_Hugh

Jul 18, 2017
NE Washington
If I go with a new 11 tooth #35 clutch should I go with the same size sprocket to drive the roller? Your pulley ratio was almost 1:1, you under-drove it then later over-drove it, and the performance you reported would suit my needs well.
Whatcha think?

OC_Hugh

Jul 18, 2017
NE Washington
Another question Cannonball. I think I see slots where the rear braces attach to the engine mount framework. Is that how are you adjusting the roller down force?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Don't know how i missed this build, but really like it so simple. A lot like my old Bicycle Machine engine from the 60's, with a clutch. mine is direct drive to the roller. A clutch is almost a must as far as i am concerned, and a belt would be that much better...........Curt