Tammi Terrell

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Do you know this name?
I have always been partial to the female r&b singers, and she is- or could have been- in my opinion, one of the greatest.
Her and Marvin Gaye in; "If this world were mine", was one of my earliest favorites. Because there is so little of her on tape, I've always searched for her acapella version of ANYTHING. Today, I stumbled across a vocal only sample of her from THAT song on youtube!

"Unsung (Documentary) - Tammi Terrell" at 23:43, in case any of you are interested.

It seems there is always something to stay alive for- expect it or not;)

Trey

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Hmmm....I remember her. I never got familiar enough with her to form an opinion. And I remember her doing, I think, a few duets with Marvin Gaye. At least one of them got enough radio play that I ought to be able to remember it. But I'm drawing a blank.

I'll try to remember this thread and check her out when I've got a bit of time for YouTubing.

Forgive me if this is thread hijacking, but let me also sing the praises of another girl singer from about 10 years earlier who, I think, is badly under-appreciated. Martha Reeves. Of Martha and the Vandellas.

Terrific vocal range and power. Womanly and soulful, yet girlish and adorable.

The really big female name from Motown, Diana Ross, really isn't good enough to fetch Marthas slippers.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. And last I knew she was a Detroit City Councilwoman as well. Must be difficult to try to manage a city that's disintegrating and slipping through your fingers as you watch.

But anyway, I went on over to Youtube and looked Tammi up. The impression I got was pretty favorable. It looks like she goes back a bit further than I'd thought. I'd thought of her as getting her start in the mid-70s. But some of those photos look like 1967 or 68.

Pretty girl, by the way.

"If this world were mine" struck me as a nice number. But being only moderately fond of Marvin Gaye, I didn't listen to the whole thing. "All I do is think of You" seemed pretty good. I thought her cover of "This old heart of mine" was pretty good, too.

I was definitely reminded of Diana Ross. Who, I gotta admit, I kinda trashed in my last post. But I was just not being careful with my wording. I don't really think badly of her. She's got a style that's hardly bad. And Tammi sounded pretty similar to me.

Only slightly on-topic: I grew up in Detroit during the 1960s. The big AM radio station in that market was CKLW, across the river in Windsor, Ontario. 80,000 Watts. A very powerful station.

They played an awful lot of Motown, you can be sure. I can remember the excited feeling, even though I was just a kid, that the Motor City was producing a cultural product that was being covered by the likes of the Beatles and the Who and such.

My understanding, too, is that the Canadians mandated a certain amount of domestic music on their air waves. As a result CK played a pretty fair amount of the Guess Who.
Another badly under-apprecited act in my opinion. They really stood shoulder to shoulder with the very best if you take a look.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Sister of Ernie Terrell, heavyweight boxer. This is a useless piece of information, but it's free.