Newbie needs rear hub advise

GoldenMotor.com

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Hey guys, I'm about 3/4 of the way through my build based on a 1948 Schwinn DX with a 4" stretch and a grubee skyhawk motor and I cant seem to figure out the best rear hub set up to use. Currently the bike is sitting on a pair of Schwinn S2s with the original New Departure rear hub... brakes are also becoming a concern so I was looking into a rear drum brake able to accept both left and right side sprockets.... or any good ideas you guys have already come up with. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first motorbike build.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
You'll need a clutch lever for the Grubee and that mounts on the left side of the handlebars which is where a drum brake lever needs to go, so to keep standard controls your best using a coaster brake on a manual clutch build. Also, the drums that have sprockets on both sides are 135mm spacing. If you run the Grubee on the frame centerline, then you need a 110mm wide hub for correct sprocket offsets. Easiest to just run the Shimano 110 coaster brake with a good quality sprocket adapter.

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Thanks guys... I guess I'm trying to find out what some of you guys have used and what kind of results you have gotten. I only want to do this once and get it right the first time... Any particular brands or models work well?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
It all depends on your intentions, do you want an authentic look or are you more concerned with stopping..... it appears you already have a coaster rear hub? If so id just go with that (providing it isnt a real cheapo hub), i had a heavier bike with a coaster brake and i never had any trouble stopping and you wont have too many levers like Sportsmanpat was saying. And if you are still worried about stopping id be getting a Sturmey Archer front drum hub (they are available with a dynamo to power your light)

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
^^^^ What Harry says ^^^ I have a 110 coadter on the back and the Worksman drum up front. Its "OK" I'd try the SA with dynamo. Bound to work better and you'd have the added bennefit of loosing the strap on generator on the back wheel. OH! And we need more pictures..... Thats one cool looking build :)

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
So, It looks like I'll go with the coaster brake hub in the rear with a drum brake up front and I'll have to see if I can somehow keep my vintage speedo with the drum brake. I know the dynamo hubs would power my light, but doesn't my Grubee skyhawk already have 6v leads? I think so?
...and If I wanted to keep my current rear hub set up... an original New Departure coaster brake... What would you guys suggest for a rear gear set up. I'd really like to stay away from any thing that bolts onto the spokes... is there anything out there ?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice looking build!

...I REALLY don't like using coaster brakes on a mab!

a motor assist is kinda like exceeding top speed on a bicycle, going downhill, ALL the time.
Fine fine... until u encounter a conflict for occupying a particular space.

Best
rc

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
So, It looks like I'll go with the coaster brake hub in the rear with a drum brake up front and I'll have to see if I can somehow keep my vintage speedo with the drum brake. I know the dynamo hubs would power my light, but doesn't my Grubee skyhawk already have 6v leads? I think so?
...and If I wanted to keep my current rear hub set up... an original New Departure coaster brake... What would you guys suggest for a rear gear set up. I'd really like to stay away from any thing that bolts onto the spokes... is there anything out there ?
I would measure the diameter of your hub & see if it matches up to fit a Sportsman Flyer rear sprocket adapter. Sportsman Flyer (my recommendation) & all the other aftermarket sprockets are set up to clamp onto the Shimano CB110 hub or the Hystop which is a clone of it. I have the measurements somewhere maybe I think, for the shimano hub diameter.
Otherwise get a wheelset from Norm at Venice bikes, as the SF sprocket will bolt straight onto those.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I use the Sportsman Flyer heavy duty drum brake with sprocket adapter which is different than the Sprotsman Flyer sprocket adapter for a coaster brake. It's really a nice unit and I think it's what you are looking for. The bad thing about tapping the engine for light power is it reduces the spark to the coil significantly.