Help ! I think I have BAS

GoldenMotor.com

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
I used to have GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome). I kicked it, but now it seems I have contracted BAS (bicycle aquisition syndrome).

Vintage Girls Bicycle from 1930's-1940's

Somebody stop me !

I got them down to $50. I can't tell what this one is either, but it's more complete than the red one. After I peeled all the duct tape off the seat, I see it's a Mesinger. I wonder if it might be a Schwinn.

What surprised me is that the head tube length is short for a girl's bike....about 5 9/16". I stood it beside the Sears Free Spirit, and the head tube angle is a few more degrees laid back as well.

MHF

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I wish I could help you but I'm suffering from a similar affliction. I have a bad case of motor hoardoritus.

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Oh no! I may have that too. I just bought a Honda GCV160 for $25 from a pressure washer that the owner let freeze last winter....runs perfect, and I'm negotiating on another one.

I don't see why they can't be used with the shaft on the horizontal. In fact, I believe if you can find a fried GC160 horizontal, the bottom mount oil sump/crankcase would bolt right up. They seem to be the same internally.

For now, I'm thinking of using the plate it's bolted to on the washer to mount it in the bike frame. Then I can turn the rest of the cart into something I can use in the garage...a welding cart or something.

Those power washers seem to be an excellent source for engines.

MHF

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Asking for help with BAS in this part of the forum is like trying to get help with a drinking problem by going to a bar. Many of us here have the same problem you do. :)

(Actually, my wife made me agree to own the same number of bikes she has. She has one. That makes me one over the limit, two over if you took the parts and built another one. She's not buying the technicality of the one being non-motorized. But she's patient because I'm fixing hers up and making hers look beautiful.)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
WOW... I never knew there was a medical term for it!
I've been suffering from BAC since early childhood... I actually have several bicycles that I've only ridden for 1/2 a block & then put them in with the rest of my bikes!
I justify having so many because I can eventually sell them for a profit. (or at least get my money back).

In the past I've also suffered from GAS (guitar aquisition syndrome) & VAS (Volkswagen aquisition syndrome). :D

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
Tyler Texas
Wow! I feel sorry for you guys and your problem!

I only have 3 bikes. (I would have 4, but I gave one to my son.)

8 bicycle engines (1 CG, 2 Puch E50's, 2 Motobecane, 2 Indian moped, 1 20hp Cuyuna)

2 motorcycles

2 cars

2 trucks (plus my wife's ElCamino)

1 ultralight

1 22' sailboat

See, no problem here!
laff

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Man I have it all. obsesive compalsive must have disorder?
About 20 bikes (some will be hacked for parts)
6 old colector pickups. ( couple for parts )
2 cars
Boat,pontoon, paddle boat.
Half a dozen lawn tractor( most colecter )
about a dozen old motors. old briggs washinmachine, old clinton, couple of 5HP briggs, some are spaires for snowblowers and the like.
And some things I might have forgot I have.

No problum here they are money in the bank been selling some and will sell more when I get ready. When you get them at sales for little or nothing you can't pas them up right? Like I did this summer was miss a lot of sales and that helped............Curt