Dual Brake

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I have this Dual brake/ Throttle/ Killswitch combo:

and here:

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to attach the cables to it?

I have these brake cables with the barrel type ending:

If you look closely at the first pic, you can see there is only a tiny hole for the cable to go through. I'm guessing I have to cut the barrel off and somehow tie a knot in the cable at the end?

I just uninstalled my brake cables from their original holders and then put them back into their original holders but the was way too much slack. How would I adjust this??? I can't figure anything out with these brakes...

Thanks

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Do you pull the cable out of the housing and thread it thruogh the handle ,etc and back thhrough the cable housing?,,,I see one end of the cable is not got an end on it,and I would start with that.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
So for the rear brake, I have to detach the cable at the rear brake, back here?:

Then I have to feed the whole thing back through the dual pull brakes, cable sheaths, etc. and to the back again?

What about getting rid of slack? After I simply detached the brake cable from the front left (rear) brake and put it back in, I could literally squeeze the handle all the way in and get no braking power... I don't think I even changed anything.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah I'm not using the dual brakes b thanks for telling me how to get rid of slack because my rear brake is still messed up.

I failed to realize before that my brake handles are permanently attached to my shifters. There's no way I'm taking my shifters off and theres no point in just moving the cables to one handle if I'm still gonna have those other two annoying handles wobbling around loosely.

So far all I have left to do is fix my brake and my rear derailluer, add my chain, JB weld the fuel tank to the frame and adjust my clutch and my MB should be up and running. Expect pics!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeah I'm not using the dual brakes b thanks for telling me how to get rid of slack because my rear brake is still messed up.

I failed to realize before that my brake handles are permanently attached to my shifters. There's no way I'm taking my shifters off and theres no point in just moving the cables to one handle if I'm still gonna have those other two annoying handles wobbling around loosely.

So far all I have left to do is fix my brake and my rear derailluer, add my chain, JB weld the fuel tank to the frame and adjust my clutch and my MB should be up and running. Expect pics!!!
Are you certain the brake lever and shifter are integral? I've not seen this but I have seen them installed close together so that when looking at them they appear to be one unit. Look for a small set screw that holds them in place on the handlebar. It just might be that they are in fact two seperate parts.
As for adjusting your brakes: Slip a piece of sheetmetal, about 1/16" thick betwen the brake pads and the rim then pull the cable tight enough to clamp the pads to the sheetmetal. When you remove the metal your brakes should have just enough clearance so they do not rub the rim. Fine adjustments can then be made at the handlebar by turning the adjusters in or out.

As for mounting your fuel tank, do not rely on JB Weld (glue) to keep it in place. A better method would be to use a good quality double sided tape on the top tube and the mounting straps and hardware that came with your kit.
Tom

Last edited:

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Unrelated but nice combo when ya get it goin.. dual brake lever is def. the way to go just simplifies everything I even went to the point of pulling all the gearing out I still got the sbp crank left on there and a derailer on the back single sprocket if I ever did want to go to a lower peddling gear I just gotta move the chain by hand and the derailer takes the slack. Sounds like a P.I.T.A but ya dont really ever peddle anyway so its all good IMO. Dunno if u wanna go that far but yeah I love the look of just 2 levers and a throttle, just looks like a big bmx.