Welding question

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I am familur with welding steel. I have a stick arc welder and a gas-less wire feed flux core welder. Is there a way to weld aluminum with these two types of welders or do I need to get another type? Thanks.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have no welding experience. Most production aluminum bike frames are TIG welded - whatever that means.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You will have to look for another method. I am using a tig welder to steel, alum and stainless. I really like working with alum as it's easy to cut and fab parts up.

What are you trying to weld?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welding aluminum takes patience to learn then you have to stay proficient at it. You don't have the right equipment either. You'll need a gas TIG or MIG machine running straight Argon and reverse polarity. And, a lot of practice. Once mastered it's satisfying to be able to run a bead with aluminum but it takes some effort to get there and you have to do it regularly or you'll loose the technique. I've watched people do it with oxy/act but that's even harder than electric welding. Good luck.
Tom

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
you can arcweld aluminum IF you have a DC capable welder and what your welding is 3/16 thick or bigger. The welds will not look anywhere near what a decently good weldor with a tig machine can do. You can also use a good set of A/O torch but ya better be really good at gas welding and not brazing. Gas mig WITH a spoolgun can be used but the welds are crummy looking tig is the best option

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
TIG= tungsten inert gas. There is an arc between the tungsten and the workpiece. You dab the aluminum filler rod in and out of the arc as you weld. That's why a good aluminum weld has an even, rippled look.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
You will have to look for another method. I am using a tig welder to steel, alum and stainless. I really like working with alum as it's easy to cut and fab parts up.

What are you trying to weld?
I acquired an aluminum cruiser and had some ideas for new projects. It would be great if I had the option of welding steel or aluminum. Looks like I need to get a third welder :(

leaded50

Oct 29, 2011
Norway
I´m got some inputs on other ways.....but havent tested it yet by my self, and ain´t shure this could be used on bicycle fabbin´.....
Using a torch to melt/weld zinc to make joints. Its said its great on thinner material to make a joint, when done right the alu breaks outside of the "weld" on bending test.....
And zinc is easy available & cheap f.ex. as corrosion anodes on boats...

planned to try it on a 50s sunvisor who got som breaks, but havent got time and schedule for it yet.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
you can use a mig ( with a good spool attachment )
Don,t even bother trying the aluminum wire thru the mig itself .
Its supposed to work ... but doesn't , and the aluminum wire is soft and flimsy ... it will bunch up on the roller inside the mig ... if it melts inside the wire feed line .. good luck getting it out .

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
I´m got some inputs on other ways.....but havent tested it yet by my self, and ain´t shure this could be used on bicycle fabbin´.....
Using a torch to melt/weld zinc to make joints. Its said its great on thinner material to make a joint, when done right the alu breaks outside of the "weld" on bending test.....
And zinc is easy available & cheap f.ex. as corrosion anodes on boats...

planned to try it on a 50s sunvisor who got som breaks, but havent got time and schedule for it yet.

been bouncing this off of randy @ durafix and he even says...

"As I said before, I would just buy a wire welder for this application. Durafix is a great product, but it is not suitable for this kind of job"

does that answer your question?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Bottom line is you are going to need a tig machine to complete what you are trying to do. The right way... Lol A co worker was selling a older never used econo tig miller with all the extras for 1100.00
that was a good deal

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
you can use a mig ( with a good spool attachment )
Don,t even bother trying the aluminum wire thru the mig itself .
Its supposed to work ... but doesn't , and the aluminum wire is soft and flimsy ... it will bunch up on the roller inside the mig ... if it melts inside the wire feed line .. good luck getting it out .
A MIG (wire feed) machine will require a teflon liner to allow the aluminum to slide easily. Trying to use a steel spiral liner will assure that there will be binding.
You''l also have to use reverse polarity and only Argon gas, not a C-25 mix when running aluminum wire. Most cheap-o, department store, discount tool places, MIGs will not have these features.
Tom