gas leak!!

GoldenMotor.com

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
So I have a gas leak where the tank is, the part where you screw it in and can turn it on and off. What can I do to stop it? I heard teflon tape.

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
Teflon tape should most definately be used on the threads of your fuel petcock when you screw it into the gas tank. This will most definately help to seal the threads and most probably stop the leak your describing!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Some double gasket and that helps. It depends if it's leaking at the joint or if it leaks around the lever itself. Mine would leak when shut off in one direction but not the other. I got a nice brass valve from Lucky Early Bird on eBay that doesn't leak. Took it off the chinee tank when I sold it. Went to Andy's Parts and got a bushing adapter to fit the valve to a Paugco Porkster tank that's going on my new build.

If it just continues then replacement is the only option. If the fuel drops on the motor you're rideing potential fireball.kick2

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
My fuel valve was also a piece of junk, so I just got the much improved one off of SBP and I love it. No leaks, and great flow, only for 10 bucks.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Teflon tape and use a wrench to tighten it.
If it doesn't face the way you want pop in another paper gasket and re-tape.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I've used plumbers tape before.

However, I would recommend throwing that piece of shoddy chinese engineering out and make a better petcock with either a ball valve or a brass spout and inline petcock from the hardware store.