Researching for the best motorized bicycle kits

GoldenMotor.com

Marv Marcus

Nov 24, 2010
Southwest Florida
Hi Guys.
I'm new to this group. I will not tell you how old I am but I did own a new 1948 Whizzer motorbike in my early years. It was the first motor vehicle in my family. I went everywhere with it. I have since owned other motor scooters and motorcycles.

I've been doing research on building a motor bike with mixed results. A few questions. Are there any quality 2 stroke engines kits on the market that are not junk? Does anyone make a kit with the Honda engine and the automatic transmission? I like the sound of a 4 cycle engine but if the transmission is so loud you can't hear the engine I would go with the 2 cycle units. The price of the 2 cycle kits are from cheap to relatively expensive. What is the best unit out there.

I have a Trek 900 mountain bike in good condition but would like to replace the rear spokes which are starting to rust with larger diameter stainless spokes.

In Florida anything larger than 50 CC's you need to take a driving course which costs $250! Is the size of the 2 stroke engines stamped on them? Can you tell how large the engine is just by looking?

I'm looking forward to the comments and suggestions.

Marv

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Have a look in the "Find a Dealer and Review" forum here.

Most of the two stroke kits are pretty much the same with the accessory items being a little different from kit to kit. Grubee offers a lot of hype, but they have as many problems as a less expensive kit. thatsdax sells at a fair price and offers great after the sale service. There are a ton of others out there, and you will get as many opinions as there are kits.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
In Florida anything larger than 50 CC's you need to take a driving course which costs $250! Is the size of the 2 stroke engines stamped on them? Can you tell how large the engine is just by looking?
Marv,
Welcome aboard. Concerning the two stroke engines… the 49cc and the 66cc are virtually identical and if not placed side by side, you can’t tell them apart. I am not aware of a model that is stamped with it's engine size. I recently bought a Grubee 66cc that had a small manufactures plate riveted on the clutch actuator cover. I believe along with other details it lists the engine size. Let me go check…

Hmmm. It must have fallen off. :D

Ah Florida, no hills and you can ride year round. Have fun.

Last edited:

gingerbakr

Nov 24, 2010
Apple Valley Ca.
Hi Marv, welcome, I'm also new to this and did some checking on most motors sold, I got mine from Gasbike.com in canada, only ones that would ship to california, it is a ZB80 and is 66cc they also have 49cc motors, these kits come with upgrades most don't have
they come with 2 or 3 motor mounts to fit the different down tubes on the bikes, it will fit my mountain bike with no drilling the frame, and they come with extra parts and color directions :) can't beat it. I paid $87 for the motor on ebay with shipping for $111, if you don't fell like bidding on ebay you can buy it now for #134.00 free shipping.
These are new 2010 motors.
I'm 60 and remember my first motorbike with a snowplow engine man did it fly!! I was 10 and very brave, not so much now.
Good luck Marv, Mike

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Hi Marv, the most reliable kits have japan engines on them, from what I read. Spend some time here absorbing info. And Welcome to Motorbicycling!

dakota47l1

Oct 2, 2011
st louis mo.
Marv,
Welcome aboard. Concerning the two stroke engines… the 49cc and the 66cc are virtually identical and if not placed side by side, you can’t tell them apart. I am not aware of a model that is stamped with it's engine size. I recently bought a Grubee 66cc that had a small manufactures plate riveted on the clutch actuator cover. I believe along with other details it lists the engine size. Let me go check…

Hmmm. It must have fallen off. :D

Ah Florida, no hills and you can ride year round. Have fun.
my plate is going to fall off too;)dnut

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
I buy most of my kits off of EBAY. I normally wait to see which one drops their price a little,then I buy a few kits all at one time to save the freight. I have bought kits from every dealer on EBAY and also the Grubbee kit and the boy go fast kit to the ducattivcc kit from canada. The only ones I have any problems with was the grubbee 2 times. They made good on the problems but the down time with me is what was bad. Lost a customer.
Just my 2 cents on the matter.
donb4103

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I have a ducattivcc kit from Canada coming. Will evaluate the kit and see how it stacks up against BGF, my regular supplier.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
ok,I have not heard of these.Where in the heck do you get one of those.more info please.

Last edited:

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
ducattivcc is an Ebay store on Ebay. They are out of Canada. They are gone on a hunting safari and will not be back until Oct. 26th. Then you will be able to see what they are selling then.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
For a good china doll, go to thatsdax. For friction drive and chain drive, go to staton inc.com. Statons chain drive is a bit expensive, but they are top quality.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
If you are comfortable working with tools, Dremel, drill press, lathe, then you can buy the cheapest kit out there and not worry about anything because you have the tools and equipment to fix any problems that may arise, and make it right.

If you are a newbie and don't know nuthen, then get a kit from a vendor that offers service and support in case things go wrong, you can go to the vendor for help.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Hi Marv,

Most of the summer I've been riding a Trek 800 with a Thatsdax friction drive kit and Honda 35cc engine. It's been a reliable and easy setup, except when the roads are wet. The roller slips when wet. I recently bought a used Golden Eagle kit and I couldn't be more happy with it. It didn't have an engine but it did come with a heavy duty wheel with 105g spokes. You can buy these at Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More with either 2 stroke or 4 stroke engines. They also sell the heavy duty wheels. They are more expensive than the other kits but they are reliable and quiet. If you can afford it I think you would really like this kit. Personally, all the money and hassle I wasted on other kits I could have bought the GEBE kit from the start.

Joe

jamz1378

Oct 23, 2011
Adelaide
I ordered mine yesterday from rock solid bicycle engines should be shipped tomorrow from what i have read they replace all the standard bolts with Hi-tensile and bench test before shipping will keep informed when i get it and add pics to if people want.

Finally got my engine no problem with rock solid only problem was Australia post, open the box and there are 3 smaller boxes with everything packed nice and tight with space filled first box out was the fuel tank which had been leak tested and signed off on the box, next was the exhaust and chain guard checked and signed off on the box, last but not lest the motor engine built with hi-tensile bolts carby on and adjusted and sealed, test ran and packed snap lock bags several that had the cdi, spark plug, chain pick up, nuts bolt and all the bits and pieces each bag was checked and signed off on bag, cables zip ties everything checked and signed off before shipping nothing was missing engine ran perfect first time. every thing that they say on there site they do to the engine is dune, service was great 10/10 to tony and his staff

Last edited: