tool pouch

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I needed some kind of organizer/pouch for my few tools I carry on the bike. I don't sew, my wife refuses to sew and generally there was just nothing quite right.

Then while in my shop, previously my photo studio, then my photo experimental lab, I saw something laying on a table. I once made a bean bag to steady big big cameras. I made it by filling a pair of red wool socks with beans. Since the odds of me every using them again is nil, I decided to empty one and stuff my tools in it. The would fit much better in my small tool box that way. I also plan to carry some premix in it since the tank on the chainsaw is so small.

So I have a red wool tool pouch with no sewing. If you like you can put a rubber band around the top at the point of the tools then turn the sock back on itself to make it look a little less like a homemade sap. sap= black jack.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Cut the top off of a water bottle insert the sock full of tools in the bottle and insert into the water bottle holder on the bike and your done. Have fun, Dave

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
dont have a water bottle holder on my bikes but I do have a carry all im gong to need for spare gas ect. the sock is easier to fit that anything I have seen yet.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I use a Crown Royal bag. Pretty purple with nice gold drawstring to keep things from falling out. I work part time at a night club and can get a million of them for free. They also make a nice sunglasses case.^5

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
what are the list of the usual tools do you carry in your tool pouch? I might be carrying tools which are more than necessary, or not the right tools... Does not fit in a pouch...Thanks...

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Tool list:
screwdriver, has replaceable tips, slotted, phillips, allens etc.
small allen set
small pliers
small adjustable wrench
10mm wrench
13mm wrench
That is it, can pretty much disassemble my whole bike with that and sometimes when I am lazy I just reach into my travel bag and use those tools instead of going to my tool box.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
After shooting the breeze with Deacon when I should have been working.... I was on break... I thought i"d mock up a tool pouch. I just got a new sewing machine I've got a ton of old advertising signs from work and some old canvas. I stopped at the fabric store and picked up some cotton tie and cord.

the first 2 I made were made out of an old pair of pants (cleaned) that were made of rip stop cotton and olive drab. One leg makes 2 small pouches, the size of a water bottle. Filled with tools they would fit snuggly into a wate rbottle cage. flat bottom and interior pockets for organization and a large main compartment for loose tools. I'll grab my tool kit and transfer it to one to give you an idea of what can fit in it.

This morning the house was hot as h3ll and I woke early and made a quick tool roll. I didn't get any good pics of the outside, it's taller than the pouches but filled with tools it would also fit in a water bottle cage. It ties shut rather than cinches. It should hold a complete tool kit, ready for anything...

I also made a smaller version of the roll, Its a little shorter than the water bottle, but about as tall as a retractable sharpie. so it would easily hold wrenches and what not.

I hate this camera.

If anyone wants to test these out I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping, $4.90 PM me and I'll give you my paypal address and I'll mail it out next day. I've got 2 I'll send out. I'll update this as they go out.

1 roll left

Attachments

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Someone asked what tools to carry. I first asked myself what am I willing to do on the side of the road.

tighten a chain yes, change a tire no. So a good visegrip is useful to me, but not tire levers. Someone else who mountian bikes would maybe carry inflators. I had one can of bike fix a flat but I gave it away.

I carry one of those sputnik looking screw drivers. It's kind of cross with a different end on each point. It isn't going to give a lot of torque but it will do well enough to get me home I think.

Where ever possible I convert all my bolts to quarter inch so I carry a couple of those wrenches with me and a half inch. The head on the quarter inch nut and bolt is 11mm it is also 7/16 I carry a roll of electrical tape and a snakebite kit... Kidding about the snake bite kit.... I will be carrying a bottle of premix as well. and of course my european string bag in case I buy anything and want to get it home hanging from the handlebars.

I don't like to carry much with me and I don't go far from home so I don't need more than a good lock to lock it up while I go get a car to pick it up with should worst come to worst. I am the only person left in the usa without a cell phone but if I had one it would be the first item in my tool kit. But for a cell phone to work, you need someone to call.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
deacon, did you get your new pouch from comfortableshoes yet?

I ordered one and can hardly wait for it to arrive!:ride:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Not yet but I am looking forward to it. I expect it to be a lot easier to get in and out of than the wool sock. Well the tools I mean I get in and out of socks fine lol...