Neat Discovery

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you ever heard a song, liked it but didn't really know who did the music and never researched it? There is one that I've heard used in commercials and recently during the credits at the end of a movie. It always made me smile but I never took the time to say, "Who does that song?" or to find out.
Yesterday my wife had the radio on and the song was playing. She said, "Who does that song? I love that music." So, I started researching and this is what I found. Maybe I've been living in a cave but I was amazed when I discovered who the artist was and his history. Enjoy :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFkXQKCuBc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwoʻole

Tom

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Yah, nice song. I've heard it many times but mainly when I was in Hawaii, they really love their weather themed songs in Hawaii! The Eddie Vedder song "Big Hard Sun" was an instant classic there, while I hear it on the mainland from time to time it plays constantly on the islands. Not sure if Eddie Vedder had been spending time on the islands (which could influence radio to play his songs), but his "Ukulele Songs" record that came out a while ago makes me think he's been spending some time sitting on a beach in Hawaii...

One thing for sure, those Samoan boys are BIG! I was at a grocery store one time in Hawaii going for the ice cream isle, when I arrive there were two Samoan brothers in the isle so big I didn't have room to pass, so I circled. As I circled probably the third time their cart filled up more and more with gallons of ice cream, I hear one of them say in that island accent "let's clean 'em out brah"...

If they weren't so large I would have laughed right there, luckily my brain told me it's best just to laugh on the inside about this one and tell the story later, those big boys can be pretty tough... LOL

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah we have a large Samoan population in Australia, at least where im from. And i can second that these boys are massive. Its a little intimidating when some Samoan schoolboys are GIGANTIC! I still see some Samoan kids walking home from school and i say to myself "NO WAY hes school aged"