29er question

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
How do the 29 inch wheels affect the gearing on the stock 44tooth kit? Will it still pull fairly well? I'n cosiderig 29er build and I'm wondering if I should order a smaller sprocket for it or not.Anyone have any input? I'm 250+lbs and I don't want to overgear the engine. Seems to me like the bigger wheel would be a bit faster on top end which is what I'm looking for. Stock gearing is just a tad too small for me and I find myself holding back to not overrev when the engine would easily pull a bigger gear but the 36 seems too much. Is a 44 tooth sprocket on a 29" rim the answer?

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
If the stock gearing really is just a tad too small then that very well could be the answer. If what you really want is to go even faster then that then you might want to find a 40 or 41 tooth sprocket. I think that if you go to 36 then you would really have problems if you ever came to any kind of hill.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in but I think you are right about 36 being too small.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If the stock gearing really is just a tad too small then that very well could be the answer. If what you really want is to go even faster then that then you might want to find a 40 or 41 tooth sprocket. I think that if you go to 36 then you would really have problems if you ever came to any kind of hill.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in but I think you are right about 36 being too small.
Yeah, I'm kinda hesitant about even a 38, so I'm using that as an excuse to build a 29'er. I'm so ashamed.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I have a very similar bike to Rich, the Genesis 29er. I first used a 41 tooth sprocket but it did not give me the torque I wanted so I switched to a 44. I am about 200 lbs and use the bike to pull a trailer sometimes so I prefer to be on the torque side. The bike after jetting the carb with an expansion chamber and billet head will still do 30 easily and it gets there pretty quick. Being properly jetted really helped the engine on the top end rpms. It tops out at 33-34 mph, according to my speedo, which is plenty fast enough for me with all cars out there! I will also say the 29 in tires do make for a smoother ride.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
I've got a 29'er with a shifter kit. It has a sweeet ride. Very smooth and comfie, but acceleration does suffer quite a bit compared to a 26. i would run a 39-40t.