Super fat Chopper winter/spring Build

GoldenMotor.com

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Hey Everybody!
Well here my next build. This is a raw super fat chopper frame from choppersus i picked up during their 40% off sale. It just the frame for now. I haven't make up my mind on how i am going to build this one up.(2 wheel or trike) This is going to be my winter/spring build. This frame has a super fat rear end. from drop out to drop out on the outer side is 7 1/8th wide. That huge!

Been trying to upload pics, NOt working well. I have resize my pics 20 times and still not working.
I will ask my buddy to take some pics when he gets here n upload them for me.
Frame 24" Chopper SuperFat Raw - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

If it goes well. I want to name it fattie. It will have 2.5 wheels up front with 24x4 in the back!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Congratz, have you considered mounting a Honda Monkey Bike 50cc engine for this build?

So many parts and or accessories are available for these Honda Monkey Bike engines, only your imagination is the limit!

Good Luck with your build!

Peace Crazy Horse!
.shft.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Thanks for the info crazy horse. I haven't really thought about the engine yet. Right now i am making the rear trike housing b4 i do anything. After that i will be on a hunt for a jackshaft kit. I do want to stay under 50 cc as i don't have a DL. Soo many choices about the engine. The monkey clone looks nice! I was thinking 4 stroke or lipan engine. Who knows. Just have to see how this turns out.
As of now i am on a hunt for the jackshaft kit as i am not sure what is what lol! Still got alot to learn about parts!!!.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Congratz, have you considered mounting a Honda Monkey Bike 50cc engine for this build?

So many parts and or accessories are available for these Honda Monkey Bike engines, only your imagination is the limit!

Good Luck with your build!

Peace Crazy Horse!
.shft.
Thanks for the info crazy horse. I haven't really thought about the engine yet. Right now i am making the rear trike housing b4 i do anything. After that i will be on a hunt for a jackshaft kit. I do want to stay under 50 cc as i don't have a DL. Soo many choices about the engine. The monkey clone looks nice! I was thinking 4 stroke or lipan engine. Who knows. Just have to see how this turns out.
As of now i am on a hunt for the jackshaft kit as i am not sure what is what lol! Still got alot to learn about parts!!!.
AZToker, the engines that are on the Honda Monkey Bikes / Honda CRF50's are horizontal Honda 4-Stroke 49cc or a Chinese clone thereof, they are just called 50cc.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Thanks for the link tipsy. I was just looking at it and i think the double sprocket on the right is too far in. It need to be 1 inch qap to the frame. If i get time b4 my trip, I will call n ask some question as how that can be moved closer to the right. Forgive me as i am new to all these parts.

Probably going to be a cheap bastard for a while and use the spare 2 stroke i just picked up and use the spare drive train to mock up. I will try n get some pics for u guys. Not much to see yet tho. I hope you all have a great holidays!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

AzToker, Again remember that those Honda Monkey Bikes / Honda Trail 70, Chinese cloned versions be they a Lifan, Loncin, SSR, etc etc ATV / Dirt Bike / Pit Bike Horizontal engine whomever the manufacturer is calls the engine a 50cc, while in reality it's 49cc.

Keep posting updates on your Chopper build! You are building this as a Chopper Trike yes?

Happy Holidays,
Peace Crazy Horse.
PS You can easily setup a free online photo-album account at photobucket to automatically resize your pic's,
.shft.

Last edited:

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Small update and could use some help. Yes i am planning to build this as a trike. I did call staton and talk about their jackshaft they had and it wouldnt work as the far right sprocket is 1 1/4 away from where i needed it. So moved on. Called choppersus and talked to the someone about their superfat wide freewheel disc hub. It the same size for the occ adapter from pirate. So i ordered it and it came in yesterday, Have been looking at it to come up with ideas. Well this what i want to do. In order to get the occ sprocket on, I need to grind down the spoke flange as it almost 3 inchs wide. I want to slip the occ sprocket in the middle for the engine drive, use the 22 tooth freewheel on the pedal side and order me a top hat with sprocket from kings to mount on the disc mount and use that for the trike kit. I am soo lost with the gear ratio stuff. I am not sure which tooth sprocket to use on the occ adapter and what sprocket to use on the king. I was going to use a freewheel 22 tooth bmx sprocket on the trike drive.

Could you give an idea what teeth you would use? I am not looking to go fast or anything,It a cruiser. Top speed maybe 25 mph. And would it be ok to grind down the sproke flange? Will the occ adapter stay it in place without spokes? Thanks for any help!

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I disagree !!!,,,
my son-in-law (azvinnie) and I have built/ridden trikes made from OCC chopper frames, and they ride as nice as they look :)
a couple of years ago, one of our custom chopper trikes even came in 6th in a death race (my friend 'Preacher' Larry was riding it)

vinnie sitting on the trike ;)

sorry for the off topic :(
this is gonna be a very cool build !!! (^)

Last edited:

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I disagree !!!,,,
my son-in-law (azvinnie) and I have built/ridden trikes made from OCC chopper frames, and they ride as nice as they look :)
I must disagree...non-tilting delta trikes are the most boring things to ride period, might as well be in a car or a sidecar at least. Being a paraplegic i initially thought i could only now ride a trike so built a couple from ground up, so can speak from experience as to their handling, or lack there of, agreed they can look cool but the riding experience is pure disappointment IMHO.

picture of my last custom trike and video

YouTube - Electric Bicycle Ride

Might give you some ideas if you go ahead with your trike...i would strongly urge you to reconsider the whole trike thing though, either way all the best with your project.

KiM

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
yeah,they are kind of hard to turn.just have to be extra careful going into a turn.another idea would be some custom 16x3 training wheels..flg.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i have to disagree i have a trike and i love it turning its great and just as az toker i am building another trike its going to be a strech cruiser converted in to a trike i also have a two wheeler but i love riding my trike

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
I have a 3 spped motor trike, with the 66cc 2 stroke, and it is fun, the turns are not bad as long as your not going fast enough to tip it over. never tipped mine, but purposelly rode it on 2 wheels

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Small update and could use some help. Yes i am planning to build this as a trike. I did call staton and talk about their jackshaft they had and it wouldnt work as the far right sprocket is 1 1/4 away from where i needed it. So moved on. Called choppersus and talked to the someone about their superfat wide freewheel disc hub. It the same size for the occ adapter from pirate. So i ordered it and it came in yesterday, Have been looking at it to come up with ideas. Well this what i want to do. In order to get the occ sprocket on, I need to grind down the spoke flange as it almost 3 inchs wide. I want to slip the occ sprocket in the middle for the engine drive, use the 22 tooth freewheel on the pedal side and order me a top hat with sprocket from kings to mount on the disc mount and use that for the trike kit. I am soo lost with the gear ratio stuff. I am not sure which tooth sprocket to use on the occ adapter and what sprocket to use on the king. I was going to use a freewheel 22 tooth bmx sprocket on the trike drive.

Could you give an idea what teeth you would use? I am not looking to go fast or anything,It a cruiser. Top speed maybe 25 mph. And would it be ok to grind down the sproke flange? Will the occ adapter stay it in place without spokes? Thanks for any help!

Did you think of getting a shift kit and use that as a jackshaft ? I think the gear ratios are all set with that..they are a little pricey but after you have to try somthing else, and this didnt work like you thought..you probabally spent the price of the kit. Send them an e-mail, cant hurt. Not sure what trike kit you got but some of them you are able to swap out the stock sprocket and us a 5/8 freewheel adapter with a cluster, or you could go with the stock sprocket.

Cheers

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
actually a chopper trike does sound cool!How are you going to do the back brakes?I guess the free wheel rules out a coaster.Disk?also,what are your plans for the rear wheels and tires?20x4 1/4? What kind of forks are you going to use?Are you going to custom build the rear axle mount/chainstays?I like the occ trike.I just got an occ that was trashed and have fixed it up pretty good with a 2 stroke motor.got a motor from boy go fast and the clutch would not disingage the sprocket.took it apart and put it back together and it worked.yay.the next day I discover there is a crack in the gas tank,its leaking.well i got to ride it twice at least.but yeah,I can see how it would make a nice trike!I solved the no front brake prob with a rear clamp on side pull calliper brake from bicycle designer.com.works pretty good.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Wow. Just read all this. Didn't even get a email about it. Oh well. Did my taxes and owe the feds this year and my eye surgrey coming up so i need money for the co pay. So i am backing off this project and selling the frame. I am going to finish off the colson and be done.. If anyone one the forum want to do a project with the super fat frame. LMK i will make u a good deal. Thanks!!