Bikeguy Joe's bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I sold the Western Flyer (the red one on the left) to a guy, then he broke the frame and I got it back, waiting to find just the right bike to put the kit on. The other one I sold too....

Another of the Military bike, out on the road-

I still have the front mount bike as pictured in the "Lone Rackee" thread.
I'm working on another front mount that is an older Schwinn Men's Three Speed with a BikeBug engine...same as my TAS Spitz, but a different co. marketed it.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, you may not have to wait too long, I'm getting another kit and I have one a guy brought to me to fix and left here...too much money to fix it and he's on to other things...too bad.

I'll be giving an agonizing blow by blow of both builds....just don't hold your breath waiting for them, may take me a few weeks to get geared up. That's winter here in N.E.O.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was thinking of paint schemes and then I thought "I'll do what's easiest".

Cleaned everything really well with denatured alcohol, sanded 'er up a bit and shot it with two cans, wheels and all.

That bike got the royal treatment with wheel bearing repack, new tires/tubes/seat/chain and paint. I rode it quite awhile and then sold it to a gentleman who is still enjoying it.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You know, since it was Chinese (engine) I was going to put a Red Star on the tank...then I thought "Well with all the rednecks and meth heads waving their rebel flags 'round here, I'll probably get run off the road or shot."

So I just left it alone, then it sold.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I really like both of those bikes. Just something about a traditional bike. They have an appeal that you just don't get with a mountain bike...............

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks guys.

The "Military" started out as a 70's Ross Europa. It was a light but seemingly well built frame, very narrow at the rear and very light wheels.

I used some slightly beefier wheels I had and went up a couple sizes on the tires. (Very close clearance between the fenders and tires)

I had to use cupped washers on the tensioner since the frame was of thin tubing. I used some washers as spacers on the rear wheel so the frame and sprocket/chain didn't grind.

Rear coaster brake only.

The chrome was shot on the bars, but I liked the bend, so I just sanded off all the rust and crud and cleaned it with alcohol then wrapped it with "friction tape". Looked right, never came off and never will!

I rode it approximately 500 trouble free miles before it was sold.

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
NIce work.

Too bad they broke the frame on the Western Flyer... classic bike. Was the break from abuse?

What tires did you put on the military bike, they look awesome. The chrome chain adds nice contrast as well.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, abuse.

The tires on the Military bike are Sold through Bell/WalMart. They looked like street bike (motorcycle) tires and they were the right size.