Hi im new

GoldenMotor.com

SharkCar19998

Sep 14, 2016
MI
and i have a old Pacific Vortex 26" Mountain Bike and i have an old weed wacker. I live in snowy Michigan and i like to ride bike so i also want to make this good in snow. I want a Friction/ Chain drive. Can anybody help me? Im also getting a parts BMX from goodwill for its chain and tires because im going to have 4 tires. Thanks

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Chain drive then, rollers like to slip in the wet. Not sure on Michigan's MB laws, but I'd say, leave the weedwacker as a yard tool, get you a ChinaGirl kit. They pretty much just slap in to most beachcruiser frames, most dimonnd frame mountain bikes too. I've seen more than one old weed eater converted, but it requires fab work for the mount, the drive system, and controls. Also, fuel tanks on weed eaters are tiny.

That's Dax-$250 for a 66cc ChinaGirl kit, shipped. Most of his motors run 35-40mph without mods.

SharkCar19998

Sep 14, 2016
MI
Well im broke and i have a old weed wacker. I dont need anything fast just something that can help me get up a hill and that goes 15 mph. And i can upgrade the fuel tank if i decide its to small. I live in a small neighborhood and i dont need a 10 gal fuel tank. I just want to make it a chain drive as im using it in snow and rain.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Welcome to the forum! Sorry I didn't do that first.

Use the weedwacker to clean up for some old biddies, buy a ChinaGirl, I promise you it is the cheapest way to get out of pedaling. By the time you finish welding, machining, and sourcing the parts you need to make your weed wacker move your bike, you'll be out a lot more than $250. Unless of course you own a welder, mill, end lathe, or a junkyard of random bits and parts. I've looked into it, I have all the knowledge and skills required, I do not own the aforementioned tools, so I ride a ChinaGirl. My average anuall income is less than $8,000. You can afford a ChinaGirl.

SharkCar19998

Sep 14, 2016
MI
Well lets just say im under legal driving age and without a job. I make my money by selling vacuum cleaners ( I collect ) and i dont get much thats why i want a weed whacker bike, i could consider a belt driven instead of chain if possible.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Welcome to the forum! Sorry I didn't do that before.

My average annual income is less than $8,000, you can afford a ChinaGirl. Use your weedeater to clean yards for old biddies, use the cash to get a kit from Dax. It'll cost a lot more than $250 to buy or make the parts you need to move that bike with a weed wacker. A twostroke kit is the most cost effective way, and Dax has the best.

The state of Michigan is flat as piss on a plate, I've driven all over it. Here in Arizona, we have Mountains, it's not the kind of desert most folks picture. My bike has to climb 1,000 feet in elevation in the thirty miles between snowflake and Heber, and has to pull around 300lbs total weight. From where I live, to the water company I manage is 50 miles one way. My bike does it no sweat, pulling that load up that far, climbing hills. There are dozens of 6% grades on our highways, some are miles long. Still, the cheap little twostroke does it. The mountain y'all ski on, the big one, is less than 700ft if I'm not mistaken. Our little one is 13,000+. There's bigger hills in Arizona than Michigan's mountains. Yep, you've got snow, but we've got big empty places, where the wind never stops. Half my kin are from St.Clair, Adair, Port Huron, and Marine City, you know St.Clair shores? Get you some good, wide knobby tires, a ChinaGirl, and a 56t rear sprocket. Next, a centrifugal clutch kit will help with keeping the rear wheel from spinning, if you can't master the stock manual clutch(it's tricky, needs a better lever that allows for more friction zone, aka slippage)

There are also "snow bike" kits available. Not sure if they're worth the trouble. You'll find that a bicycle does fairly well in the snow, but a motorized bike can be tricky. Ride with your left hand on the clutch at all times, in the snow anyway, it counts more than throttle when you're green.

Sorry, this was supposed to be an edit, not sure what happened.

MBs are still legal for you buddy.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Wait sorry, let me simplify bro.

Buy the Dax kit, Duane will treat you right. You'll be legal in MI, they're laws are pretty chill on these things. That's Dax is the best cheapest way to get rolling, I promise dude. Heck if you can't put that weed eater to work, sell it. You can do this, it's cheap and easy. Save that weedeater for later projects.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Ok here's some primitive ideas...

Find a sprocket that you can attach to the centrifugal clutch of your motor, once you get the shaft off. Build a bracket to hold the weed eater to a rear rack with your motor drive sprocket over the rear hub of the bike. Attach a chain to the largest sprocket on the cassette. Use the sprocket two sizes smaller for your pedal chain, remove your rear derailur so you don't accidentally cross gears. That all hinges on the weed eater motor output shaft turning to the left(counterclockwise) when you hold it in your right hand looking down at it, like it's used. In my experience, most turn the other way. That being the case, turn it around and get a hub adapter of some kind, be it an el cheapo ragjoint or El Primo- the Manic Mechanic Hub Adapter. The real trick will be finding a chain sprocket you can mount to your clutch drum. What kind of weed eater do you have? If it does run clockwise, a friction drive might be the easiest to pull off, cause then all you need is a roller and an engine mount. Oh and you'll still have to rig a throttle no matter how you do it.

Sorry, I just don't see a free lunch here buddy.