Chris's Briggs And Stratton Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Signing on to this thread. I remember the first of your Briggs builds here on the forum. For me it was love at first sight and the use of moped parts (forks and drums) has become standard for me thanks to you. After seeing examples of your Briggs builds and ones by others who were much influenced by your work I wanted to do my own. The "kindalikeawhizzer" build is as close as I will come even though the engine is Tecumseh rather than Briggs... close enough though in size, displacement (199CC) and horsepower (also 5 hsp) to be a close relative. Many thanks to you for sharing your creative energy with the rest of us.

Chris's bike is already a winner even without detailing and paint. I bet he's happy...

SB
Thanks sb, I really like your variety of bikes. Different motors and drive systems you utilize give us ideas we may not have on our own. Not to mention creative side cars and trailers. I thank you for all your input.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep I am with you on that,pedal start is not that hard to do eather. Are you using newer boughten clutches now?.......Curt

What rims and hubs are you using?

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yep I am with you on that,pedal start is not that hard to do eather. Are you using newer boughten clutches now?.......Curt

What rims and hubs are you using?
Hi Curt. The clutch on this one is a copy of the 3rd Millenium made for late Whizzers made from a Max Torque belt drive unit. The front hub is a dirt bike brake and the rear is moped. The rims are just some I had laying around.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Decided to throw some paint on the bike so it would look decent for the semi-final assembly. I made an aluminum flywheel cover to keep Chris' leg out of what's left of the cooling fins.

I found an old Schwinn badge.

Fitted a return spring to the compression release so I don't totally rely on the valve spring.

And my grandson, Greg, made some stainless flanges for the intake and exhaust tubes and carb.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Dale --so glad this build thread is going on..

you will probably be hearing from me this coming week

Are you coming to the Venice Beach car show tomorrow???

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi Curt. The clutch on this one is a copy of the 3rd Millenium made for late Whizzers made from a Max Torque belt drive unit. The front hub is a dirt bike brake and the rear is moped. The rims are just some I had laying around.
Send some close up pictures when you get to installing the clutch. THANK YOU! the bike is really looking good.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Greg's taking the bike to show Chris what we've been doing to the bike, so I mocked up the pedal crank assembly and threw on some grips and seat.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Back on this project for a while. I made a bracket for the compression release and throttle cables. It's a tight fit, but works great. Attaches under the rear center head bolt. Also installed the fuel hose and filter. Still a few things to be done to get it running, but I'm real close.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Curt, it's getting real close to being finished. Can't wait to ride it before I deliver it to Chris.
Thanks Jeff. Now that my grandson works at Schorr Metals in Placentia I have accessibility to a lot more goodies. You know these moped rear drum brakes are pretty weak by the time you get a cable all the way back to them. A light cable just flexes and I haven't located a local shop to buy the pieces to make a heavier one. I was thinking of making a bell crank assembly and mounting it down by the pedal crank. I could use one of my heavy cables (which I have plenty of short ones) down to one leg of the bell crank and come off the other with a rod to the drum. I haven't researched the forum enough to see if any other builders overcame a similar problem, but you're the first one I thought to ask. Any ideas? I use these in the rear because sometimes I need a sprocket for chain drive and/or a freewheel. I know a disc is more efficient but I like the look of a drum and I have a few lying around.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Greg and I have been working pretty regular on Chris's bike and finally have it rideable. Since my last post I made a rear brake cable, spacers for the forks so it doesn't bottom on the tire, reworked the clutch with badly needed spacers, installed a smaller front pedal sprocket for easier starting and a hundred other little things that took hours and hours.

We're ready for a shake down cruise to Donut Derelicts in the morning to see if there are any bugs to work out.

With any luck Chris will have it in a few days.