A Rat named Ward

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Needs lighting.... I know. Notice in pictures posted above, the rear lens faded red, the blue button is bright! Its intact! Needs the battery tray and switch.

As for the front lamp there is a missing part carbide bicycle lamp. Figure since it is not complete and it is also rusted its a true gem. That is a carbide lamp that will guiltlessly be converted to LED.

See the bottom bright silver? Its a soup can. Hence the missing part. The bottom.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You do fast work. I'd never be able to keep up trying to work next to you... young guy, driven! Coffee! Impressive results.
I like the drop stand, like the horn tank, the lights are adding to the look (good old tin can technology to the rescue). One note of discord for me is the red gas tank in visual conflict with the horn tank. I don't think they like each other very much. A better answer for the gas tank would be a cylindrical tank behind the seat, something about the size of a juice can. That's just my opinion. Copper going green would be A1. If there was a simple way to convert the horn tank into a functional gas tank, that would be good, but I don't know of one that wouldn't also wreck the horn tank patina. If a functional tank could be hidden inside, but how and of what capacity? All the rest works for me.

I got the idea you wanted an opinion. Don't normally point out something I don't like because it is all a matter of personal taste, what pleases the builder's eye. So the comment is not meant to criticize; but more along the lines of "if it were my build..."
As I said, I like it. Classy ride.
SB

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
As I said, I like it. Classy ride.
SB
Yes I do not care for the tank either and I totally agree with the red clashing. There has been discussion on how to age and black out the red on the tank. I have also test fit a few other tanks I had laying around for the book rack. Just that I didn't have the right shape I was looking for. Something in Brass would be kind. The horn tank with its rust is the only part I have not treated so when I do it will blacken up the rust will not be orange and it will really pop in its rusted patina. I think I have one sample pix of one of the tanks. It just didn't quite work. IDK maybe its the green color is clashing so badly I just cant see past it.

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Looking at this air tank. Measures 10"LX6"WX8"T. one gallon capacity. Looks like something that could easily be modified for a gas tank. Mounted behind the seat on the book rack. Id take that mounting bracket down or remove all together.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Looking at gauges for the tank. If I use that one I posted I want to cram some stuff on the ports. Some steam gauges or Oiler. Steam punk it out a bit.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How did i miss this build. Love the pipes and everything else that goes with them,AWESOME! job LR............Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
How did i miss this build. Love the pipes and everything else that goes with them,AWESOME! job LR............Curt

Happened so fast almost missed it myself.

The Tecumseh 3.5 HP Engine has a lot of torque. A real pleasure to ride this one is. More to come. Changing the tires for some brick white walls. Replacing the gas tank with proper rat tank soon as it arrives in the mail.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ok so I got the EPIC one gallon tank in the mail and set to cleaning it with my favorite S.O.S pad and water. Then I treated it with OSPHO. What reminded me time to treat the horn tank as well.... and it went like so.

Pet store and picked out a few nice leather dog collars.

Looks sick! OSPHO is d'bomb. Follow along its how all the metal bits on this build have been treated.

**So glad the SNARK is gone from this build.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Much better, I think! How does it look with the tank fitted crosswise instead of lengthwise on the rack? For me the standing back and looking as a build progresses is as important and as satisfying as the doing part. I call it "creative staring" and I find that a cup of coffee helps or perhaps a beer at end of day. I'm sure you know what I mean as evidenced by all the fine details and innovative things you've done in your "laboratory".

More pictures, please...
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
AWESOME!
Agree with SB try it cross ways then stand back and look. OSPHO?

Tecumseh make sure you let it warm up before taking off, many a rod went throught the block because of not letting the oil warming up,snow blowers mostly.

Love the build and can't wait to get mine going,had a cruser when i was a kid and road it every were,no job no worry,and lots of time. Have all that now but the time has slipped away somewere..................................Curt

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
"creative staring"
SB
Nice name for it. Actually I sit and ponder life in my shop - for hours at times. Doing nothing. Sitting and staring at my work, our work. I've built countless thousands of MAB's in my head.

I have set the tank in there sideways too. It looks great both ways. Its not attached, was just photo op is all. Don't know when I will make a decision. I have to work now for a few days. Sunday looks like a target as I am off and the weather is going to break perhaps I will set it and ride.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
AWESOME!
OSPHO?
www.ospho.com
A Metal Treatment ........................ Not a Paint !
When applied to rusted surfaces, it resists/retards rust in chemical change on drying to a tough, hard surface ready for priming. A paint job will last longer after an application of OSPHO because subsequent paint coating securely attaches itself so that moisture and oxygen normally do not attack the metal. OSPHO is water-thin, can cover a larger area than paint, and goes on easily.

Curt it turns the rust black.... it will turn orange powder iron oxide white so I clean my parts with Denatured ETOH after prepping to clean off all orange rust. Then it will set the rest to black. Hard black. Then I seal in the effect with clear.

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
im sorry i jumped on so late ,
this bike has been a pleasure to watch on its 70+ year journey , im glad for the part i played in it & as you see the result couldn't be better
the drafted soldier 's youngest brother now 79 years old has seen this bike along its amazing transformation ., it was him who helped me pull it from the family barn he says he is glad to know its being used & loved , just like it needs
hats off to lab rat & his skills