1948 Whizzer Pacemaker frame number.

GoldenMotor.com

gig10

Sep 27, 2010
washington
I have one of the complete Whizzer made Pacemakers from 1948. It's 95% all original and a runner. I'm wanting to know where on the frame is the serial number stamped?
Thanks for your help.dance1

Attachments

Hi Gig10,

You have a very rare Pacemaker. The early 1948 had the seat mounted on a post like a bicycle. I will post a picture of my 1950 to show the differences between the early Pacemaker, and how the seat is mounted on later models. The early 1948 also uses regular front fender braces, whereas the next versions used 3 braces and attached to a flange on the later front forks. Some of the very first 1948 Pacemakers had the "H" motor, but the majority [99%]came equiped with the "J" motor. In 1950 the motor was the higher powered "300" series motor.

Your bike looks very close to original, and only the head and carburetor appear to be incorrect.

I must say the Whizzer Pacemaker is one of the best riding motorbikes ever and I know you will enjoy it.

Have fun,

Attachments

gig10

Sep 27, 2010
washington
I purchased the bike a couple years ago from a man who owns and once ran a small second hand store that has been closed for a long time. He was sure it ran but couldn't get it going for me so I talked him down to $200 bucks. He knew it was a 1948 or 1949 bike but didn't know anything else about it. With the right spark plug and correct gap I soon had it running. The more I researched it on the web the more I realized just how special and rare this Whizzer was. I break it out for the occasional ride during the summer but have been very careful to keep it in this great restorable condition. I bought it as an investment and will be putting it up for auction on Ebay very soon. I hate to sell it but it's time to cash it in.

To answer the first reply showing the number stamped under the bottom crank case bracket, this Whizzer frame has lower frame tubes welded underneath that covers this area so you wouldn't see any stamp there even if there was one. But thanks anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

gig10

Sep 27, 2010
washington
It has the J motor and Carter carb. (missing the air cleaner). I thought the head and carb were original. I posted more photos.
Thanks for your input.

The Hi fin head was introduced on the "300" series motor [1950]. The correct carter carburetor can be identified by where the fuel line enters the carburetor. All Whizzer Carter carburetors have the fuel line enter via the top of the carburetor and screws into a brass fitting. If the fuel line enters the carburetor from the side [no brass fiting] it was used on motors other than Whizzer. Although some worked, none worked as well as the original.

The head could be considered as an option because when Whizzer sold out of the heads made for the "H" & "J" motors, the Hi Compression version would have been considered the correct factory replacement.

Your bike has the correct automatic clutch [rare] and the SA front brake [also rare].

Your bike is far closer to original than most, so be very proud.

Have fun,

gig10

Sep 27, 2010
washington
Thanks for the additional info. The higher performance head helps answer why this bike goes faster than the top speeds that I've seen commonly posted on the web.
The Carter carb on this bike has a brass fitting that does turn so that it would be pointing straight up and fuel line would then be coming in from the top. And it is a single adjustment Carter not the newer two adjustment type. I will try to investigate it further to find out exactly what it is.
You have a very nice Pacemaker. Definitely show quality. I thought the later models had the Schwinn Springer type front forks not the original Whizzer made forks.
These were the exceptions on my bike to being all original that I had found previous to your most appreciated and valued input. Thanks.

• Seat - It has a Schwinn seat. Not the original Whizzer seat but the proper style and in excellent condition.
• Fuel valve and fuel line - It has a brass variable flow fuel valve with clear yellow fuel line.
• Left pedal - The left pedal has been replaced and welded on.
• Plate cover screws - A few of the screws holding the chrome side cover plates have been replaced.
• Air filter - The ceramic cylinder type air filter is missing. It fell off during one of my rides and I was never able to recover it.

It also has the great upgrade of a CDI unit that replaces the original points and fits perfectly in the triangular points compartment. I believe it to be the correct OEM upgrade. I've heard these have rev limiters but my bikes doesn't seem to have.

Hi Gig10,

Only a few of the 1948 Pacemakers had the Schwinn springer and only a few had the "H" motor. I suspect the handfull were really proto-types. The production 1948 Pacemaker and all later versions had the Whizzer front suspension. All were 24" and all were maroon [the 1948 was darker than the later Pacemakers], and the 1949 and up were called Whizzer red but were maroon. The Whizzer front fork is different on the 1948 model in 2 ways, first it used a different rubber cushioning system than later models, and secondly it doesn't have the "safety circle" on the lower fork tubes to connect 3 fender braces.

The serial number on the very early pacemakers is located at the bottom of the front down tube near the pedal crank housing. The later Pacemakers has the number stamped on the front side of the pedal crank housing.

The fuel shut off valve looks like the correct version for the Carter, only the Tillotson carburetors had the glass bowl with shut off.

The Carter carburetor for your bike should be a fixed main jet and have the numbers 665s stamped on the right side of the mounting flange. I will attach photo of correct carburetor [on the right] and you can see the removable brass fitting.

Only the 1948 had the clamp-on style motor mounts all future models had the bottom & top rear mounts welded to the frame.

The early 1948 is the most rare of Pacemakers and the majority ran at 37 MPH with the "J" motor. My 1950 [stock] will almost reach 45 MPH.

The 1948 Pacemaker was released June 1948 and Schwinn made all the frames except for the first 1000.

All 1948 Pacemakers had rear coaster brake [New Departure] and most had the SA front brake.

Your bike has most of the original parts and will be hard to find one any closer to original.

I use the electronic ignition module in all my personal Whizzers and I doubt it has a rev limiter. It was designed to replace the ignition on most lawn mower motors, therefore I wouldn't see the need to limit the RPMs because most [99%] have governors built in.

I have never had any of my vintage motors above 5500 RPMs, some of my friends have motors turning above 6000 RPMs, so I can say it isn't limited to under 6000 RPMs if at all.

Have fun,

Attachments

Last edited:

gig10

Sep 27, 2010
washington
Thanks again for the great info.
The frame serial number is 724
The carb is a Carter Model N 705. Do you know when these were used?
You mention the shut off valve. Are you talking about the petcock?
I didn't think mine was original. It's a brass type with a little T-bar spin adjustment. Sorta like a mini water valve. Is this the original petcock?
Thanks again.

P.S. My bike will do 45 mph and sometimes even a bit more.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Thanks again for the great info.
The frame serial number is 724
The carb is a Carter Model N 705. Do you know when these were used?
You mention the shut off valve. Are you talking about the petcock?
I didn't think mine was original. It's a brass type with a little T-bar spin adjustment. Sorta like a mini water valve. Is this the original petcock?
Thanks again.

P.S. My bike will do 45 mph and sometimes even a bit more.
My 49J is restored by Quenton & has the same petcock (shut off valve ) as you have.

Attachments

Hi,

Petcock appears to be original. The 705 Carter was used on a REO lawn mower motor, not Whizzer.

#724 is a low serial number and was most likely made by Whizzer, not Schwinn. Rumors have the first frames made by Cleveland Welding [Roadmaster], however some claim Whizzer made the first frames. Schwinn took Whizzer to court and the settlement was to have Schwinn make the Pacemaker frames for Whizzer.

Have fun,

nutz4vws

Jul 24, 2011
hey gig, where exactly did you find the frame serial number? i'm looking on mine and can't seem to find it in the places quentin mentioned. thanks

lardgro1960

Oct 17, 2016
South Dakota
I know this is a old post but wanted to add to it
I have this 1948 whizzer of my Dads its all original
title says 7-27-1948
engine number on title H-124841
Number on engine H-124841
Frame number WM 56
read this is rather rare 48 ???????????