35cc bike kits?

GoldenMotor.com

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Looks like 35 cc engines are the only ones legal in Oregon right now. Is there anyone offering kits with these little power plants? Are the Hondas and the Robins the only ones out there? Kinda spendy ...

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Bill, OK so what part of oregon are ya in? Douglas, Josephine, lane county?
Well this is the deal where I live, I am respectful of the rules of the road and such, and if a Cop pulls me over they just have a lil cheat sheet, I have seen it. They ask a series of questions and as long as you answer right they just take your word for it. I mean obviously you cant get away with a big v twin and say its 35 cc, but most of these small motors can pass for 35 cc as long as there is no displacement stamp. I ran a 66cc (or 80 depending on who ya talk to) and talk to police multiple times without any probs. Now that I am putting a 110 with a tranny on it I don't think they'll let me slide. What are your motor Biking intentions, do you wanna cruise around on mostly motor or visa versa?. My 4 year old is getting a 35cc on her chopper:)

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Terr: I am in rural Jackson County, just outside of Talent, a small town between Ashland and Medford. I see Honda GX35 engines for $225-$250. If someone made a kit that would mesh with this engine, that would be cool, if spendier than the little 2-strokes.
I don't want a friction or belt drive system though; I want to be able mount the engine in the frame like most of the other kits so I can run traditional fenders.
I'd like to be able to cruise the back roads here, and maybe even putt on up the dirt roads into the hills to Forest Service/BLM land.
I've searched and found some threads on getting busted in Oregon, and would rather avoid the hassle.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
You could go down to the Sewgay dealer there in Jackson that I saw last time I was there and get one of those instead! Now doesn't that sound exciting? No, well it doesn't to me either.

Can't think of any inframe 35cc setups on the market currently but I know that at least EZ Motorbikes is working on interfacing its drive with them. At this point your best bet is a GEBE but it is belt drive which is on your list of no's. It would do the job though, and you could run a fender with it also if you were creative.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah, I can see that Bill. I'm in douglas county and Haven't had any hassle but I can understand they can make things real difficult if they want to.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
By hoot gearbox, he means junk. They are notoriously bad bad gearboxes that last almost long enough for your payment to be processed. Don't buy one.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
By hoot gearbox, he means junk. They are notoriously bad bad gearboxes that last almost long enough for your payment to be processed. Don't buy one.
OK. Good to know. Im looking to put either the robin or the honda 35cc as an inframe engine. Does anyone have any suggestions on mounts, gearboxes, etc?

Thanks

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
hoot type means generic, there was a box called the hoot gear box, wasn't very good, but theres a lot of stores selling that style box, just about any pocket bike store has them. mine is holding up well. in frame mounting the 35cc is going to mean fabbing your own mounts, ie, cutting brackets and welding.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
hoot type means generic, there was a box called the hoot gear box, wasn't very good, but theres a lot of stores selling that style box, just about any pocket bike store has them. mine is holding up well. in frame mounting the 35cc is going to mean fabbing your own mounts, ie, cutting brackets and welding.
Cutting brackets and welding is no problem, but do you have a link to this gear box? I like that ezmotorbikes Q-Matic transmission. Anyone know if that will fit the 35cc?

Thanks

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Cutting brackets and welding is no problem, but do you have a link to this gear box? I like that ezmotorbikes Q-Matic transmission. Anyone know if that will fit the 35cc?

Thanks

At present it does not fit, but I've read here that adapting this gearbox to these smaller motors is in the works? I'm sure one of the many dealers can give you more current information.

ocscully

homeless drifter

Mar 13, 2017
OR
Hi im new to motorizing my bike i have a few questions do you have to wear a helmet? do i have to license my bike afterwards ? hope you can help. thanks

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hi im new to motorizing my bike i have a few questions do you have to wear a helmet? do i have to license my bike afterwards ? hope you can help. thanks
You do realize the last post on this thread was like 8 years ago, right? And whether you have to wear a helmet is not the question to ask, the correct question is should you wear a helmet, regardless of whether you the law says you have to, and the answer is yes, you should wear a helmet. You'll live longer. I wear a full face motorcycle helmet and full motorcycle safety gear.