Starting the motor

GoldenMotor.com

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
I am looking at an 80cc motor here and I am wondering how these engines are started

it says you can do pedal starts and so on
I was thinking of removing the pedals all together here

are they pull start or is there an ignition key? I am completely noobish at this but I appreciate any and all help. thanks

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You need to peddle to start but there is a pull start available for around ten bucks or so.
You also need to peddle the bike to get going with these kits unless you get a jackshaft kit from sickbikeparts. It allows you to use your rear gears but you need to keep your crank in place. I just tried this morning and I can start off in first gear without helping the bike to start off.
Why do you want to remove the peddles?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
the only time i hated my pedal start is when something was wrong with the engine. usually it was a clogged fuel line or out of gas but still it is a pain.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your local laws pertaining to motor assisted bicycles. If you remove the pedals, bad idea, then your bike will not legally or technically be a bicycle anymore. It could fall under the heading of a motorcycle. In additon to the laws, having the option of pedaling can be a blessing in the event you have mechanical/engine problems far from home. Most will agree here; Keep the pedals.
Tom

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
I am going to keep the pedals, i bought this 80cc kit on ebay and I am wondering how a pedal start works, do you pedal then hit the yellow throttle switch to fire the motor?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Toytime,
That is a great site. It should be required reading for every new member and even the old timers might pick up a thing or two they've forgotten over the years. It should be posted here someplace that is apparent and easily located by folks just getting started or are contemplating getting into this hobby. I copied it to 'My Favorites' for quick reference. Thanks for posting it.

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
exactly what I needed, thank you a lot .bld. one more thing....

when I look at the small sprocket that comes right off the engine, you can't turn it by hand, it is like it is in gear or something... do you just need to hook the chain up and pedal it? That is the only thing I am really unclear on, I appreciate the help

Jun 25, 2008
Toytime,
That is a great site. It should be required reading for every new member and even the old timers might pick up a thing or two they've forgotten over the years. It should be posted here someplace that is apparent and easily located by folks just getting started or are contemplating getting into this hobby. I copied it to 'My Favorites' for quick reference. Thanks for posting it.
Thats why its posted in "recommended reading" http://motorbicycling.com/f3/recommended-reading-6756.html check it out for more essential info. Hopefully an admin will make it a sticky.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
exactly what I needed, thank you a lot .bld. one more thing....

when I look at the small sprocket that comes right off the engine, you can't turn it by hand, it is like it is in gear or something... do you just need to hook the chain up and pedal it? That is the only thing I am really unclear on, I appreciate the help
When you are looking at it you have the clutch cover off so the clutch is engaged. You could use the included spark plug wrench to turn it, but by hand you just aren't strong enough. BTW that is a good way to feed the drive chain onto the sprocket, with that spark plug wrench.

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
I am near completion, I think you guys will like this thing, its a custom frame built bmx with an 80cc on it, WITH pedals, everything is in really tight tolerances but fits very wel

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
When you are looking at it you have the clutch cover off so the clutch is engaged. You could use the included spark plug wrench to turn it, but by hand you just aren't strong enough. BTW that is a good way to feed the drive chain onto the sprocket, with that spark plug wrench.
still I dont understand. My bike is completely assembled, chains have good tension, but if I try pedaling, the motor starts turning over, it is very difficult to pedal, pulling the clutch cable doesnt make any difference I dont think. It is like the thing is in gear and I cant just pedal the bike normally

Is this common? it confuses me, do I need to do something with the clutch? :-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Why don't you pull the clutch in, leave it locked and see if you can now push the lever on the engine in some more and see if it helps. These clutches always have tension on them, there is no free play and the cable always feels tight, don't let that fool you.
Have you started the bike? I have heard of them being "stuck" or locked when new and guys seem to free it up once it starts up.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
pull the clutch in and lock it,if that dont work you will need to adjust your clutch cable.no its not very fun.its more work than adjusting the brakes on a bike.
post pics id like to see that bmx with a engine.

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
Can you explain a bit more for what you mean by "locking the clutch"? I can shorten up the cable probably, just pull it through the housing a little farther. I need to be able to pull that clutch cable, pedal the bike, then release the handle in order to start the motor. but as it is, I can't pedal with the clutch tension right now.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Locking the clutch is when you pull in the lever on your handle bars and it "locks".
Yes, you need to shorten the cable as the clutch isn't being pulled in as far as it should because the cable is too long.
Easiest way is to have a pal push the lever on the engine over so that you can slide that cable end over some more. It's a common problem and you will "get it".

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
there will be some clutch rubbing at first,because u need to break her in.it will be hard to peddal at first,thats why i bought the dual start model and use the pull start.
and oh yes i did shorten the clutch cable(it wouldnt work before,too hard to pull)and works better when shorter.

Midwest Autowerks

Mar 4, 2009
Minnesota
got it, but I need to remove the drive sprocket for a little bit to do a modification, and you'll see why when I am done, but the sproket is held on by a key of some sort, does anyone know how to remove it?