Safe Clearance For Springer Fork To Tire Distance.

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I just completed another GT2A build and installed a Monarch style generic but beautiful springer fork on it. I thought the clearance between the front tire and the generic springer monarch style fork was a bit low( about 1 1/4" above the tire at the rear of the fork... but felt it was ok. I tested the bike in pedal mode only as I was worried about the clearance and to my surprise I didn't even make it out to the street before the driveway bump where it connects to the street put the fork into action that then it contacted my front tire. What happened next was frightening at best... as I proceeded to do what they call by 2 wheel stunt men as a stoppie... my rear wheel lifted 3 feet (as I was told) but somehow I balanced it and brought the rear end down gracefully without going over the handlebars. Don't laugh...my life flashed before my eyes, even though my audience thought I was just showing off my bike skills. Remember i was going 3 mph. The thought of that happening at 25 mph makes me lose sleep. Thank my stars I gave it the pedal test instead of starting that motor. Anyhow My last build I used a Monarch 2 fork and I have a good 3.5 inches of clearance and even worry that is not safe. Springer forks are dangerous if the bottom of the fork makes contact with the tire...
Help guys I need advice on making the clearance greater without having to by another Monarch 2 and toss this one in the pile heap. the fork was 140.00 and is made well. Is the GT2a head tube too long...help, advice and knowledge is sure needed today.

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Sounds like you need to add a spacer or 2 between the spring and seat for now. The better way is a stiffer or longer spring (or both). A longer spring will compress more and be inherently stiffer because of that, then when fully compressed it will bottom out on the coils and prevent the fork from hitting the tire. A stiffer spring will not bottom out (which is generally a good thing) but it will do a better job of keeping your fork up higher. If you get one stiff enough, it won't be able to scrape the tire unless you hit some serious bump with a lot of mass on the bike.

I think at speed though, you would have just scraped chunks out of the tire or maybe even popped it. Better to be safe and not have to find out..

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Agreen, Yea I am glad that when it bottomed out on the tire I was only doing 3mph...how lucky. I do wonder if anyone has had one bottom out like that at speed. Not only did it lock up immediately but my weight shifting forward insured it locked up even more. I may of been turned into superman in an instant... flying thru the air, or like you said it may of been a slow uneventful drag with rubber flying about. I have 3 bruises on my stomach as it is. I doubt enough will see this thread to find out if anyone had one bottom out at speed. Stiffer springs is a good Idea for sure, seems that the Monarch II has much stiffer ones in it compared to this fork on the new build and I cannot get them to bottom out...yet...
.bf.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Check out your local Ace hardware (if you have one). The one near me has a ridiculous stock of springs from which to choose. Hopefully you can get it sorted out, as I don't think you have the super powers quite yet.