Bald Again

GoldenMotor.com

soberguy

Jan 14, 2015
reading,pa
i cant seem to get past 4 weeks on a rear tire whether knobby or cruiser style.yes i ride alot yes i weigh 240 but dont anyone make a harder compound tire?i checked maxxis but dont see anything about soft or hard compounds.alot of the bike builds i see seem to use the 2.5 wide maxxis tire.i researched the best i could,now im here for help

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Definitely use a street tread unless you must ride off road. I like the "Gotham" that they sell at performance bike. They sell cheaper equivalents of the Gotham at Walmart. If your motorbike is China girl powered, a tire wider than 2.0 will rub the motor chain.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I've run tires as wide as 3" without rubbing. It's all about how you set it up.

As for tires only lasting a month, that's not normal. I've ridden tires for 3 years without completely wearing them out. I'm 100lbs lighter, but still, weight isn't a huge factor. A tire doesn't just wear down in a month because there's more weight on it. Slightly more, yes, but not to that extreme. What kind of tires are you using?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What is your tire inflation? Over or under inflation can impact tread wear. Are you running the recommended pressure rating on the tires you are using?

Are the tires wearing across the tread or on the sides of the tread? Or evenly across the width of the tire?

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Four weeks does seem short.

All the same, my experience is that tires do wear more quickly on an MB than they do on a pedal bicycle. Rear especially.

I rotated my current front/rear combination after about 6 months because the rear had noticeably more wear than the front.

In my case, it was the middle of the tread that had worn. I wonder if I need to re-think my tire pressure. I aim for the low 40s and add when it's in the upper 30s.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
What is your tire inflation? Over or under inflation can impact tread wear. Are you running the recommended pressure rating on the tires you are using?

Are the tires wearing across the tread or on the sides of the tread? Or evenly across the width of the tire?

Tom
Both of these things are critical pieces of information.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rim was slightly cockeyed to the chassis and feathering the tread.

Like a car tire, caster wear will chew through a tire in no time at all. That sounds like what is happening.

Or you need to stop doing this:

brnot dnut

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
"Even cheap duro tires should last 6 months or more. "
I used the Duro tires with street tread from Walmart too and they normally lasted a year or so. I weigh well over 2 bills.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Seems as if we haven't asked a critical question......"Is your bike a friction drive?" This would make a huge difference.

The following picture is the rear Continental on my bike with a Spring and Summer's worth of riding. Looks like these will dry rot before they will wear out. Lots of miles without noticable wear.

Good luck in your search for the solution!!

soberguy

Jan 14, 2015
reading,pa
Seems as if we haven't asked a critical question......"Is your bike a friction drive?" This would make a huge difference.

The following picture is the rear Continental on my bike with a Spring and Summer's worth of riding. Looks like these will dry rot before they will wear out. Lots of miles without noticable wear.

Good luck in your search for the solution!!
god no never a friction drive. my wife says they burn!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
A dual pull lever, if properly set up, or any front brake, for that matter, eases strain on the back tire when braking.

Front brakes are supposed to be 80% of your braking. Give or take.

You still haven't answered what brand of tire you're using.

Another factor is road surface. If you're riding off road or rough roads, that would make them wear down quicker, but I still can't see getting only one month out of a tire, unless you're skidding, powersliding, or doing burnouts.

Magrider wore out a set of schwalbe kojak slicks in one day, well, a little less than one day at the track racing in tucson, but even under race conditions and 20lbs of pressure, my race tires last a long time. I use kenda kiniptions or maxxis hookworms.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
On a two wheel vehicle, a crooked wheel will cause dog tracking, but won't rub or wear the tire like on a four wheeler.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
remember bicycle tires are made for bikes that weigh less then 30 pounds and cruise at a speed of around 10 mph. with all that extra weight and the added speed they are going to go bald (like me) fast